Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 Metal Ash Tray Door

Greekman

Corvette
'67 327/350-'73 LS4-'76 L48-'79 L82
My metal ash tray door on my '79 was all scratched up when I bought the car and I would like to refinish it to original.

Does anyone know if the door only is removable from the console and if so how. The door rotates up into the console and I can't find any info on removal.

I can start taking the console apart, but would like to have a plan before I just tear into it.

Thanks for your replys,

You have to remove the console plate. When you get it off you will see two plastic pins holding in the ash tray lid. These are black split pins with a white plastic pin in the center. The white pin is driven into the black split pin to expand it and keep it in place. You have to remove the white center pin and that will allow you to remove the black split pins. Chuck

Thanks guys, I may try doing it in the car with maybe a shoebox to control the oversray. It's such a small area and doesn't need much paint. Sounds like I could spend two hours taking the part out to do a ten minute job and also may break some hard to find clips.

Thanks again

Today the weather was nice so I decided to start on the ash tray re-painting.

I decided to mask off the area and protect the interior area with newspapers and masking tape.

Sanded the metal lid down and then put on two coats of semi-gloss black paint. Looks a 100% better and it was such a easy fix.

I'm glad I did not take all the console apart for this project.

If it wasn't for all you great people on CAC I probably would have torn into the console and would have takens hours to do.

Later,

re:

Does the semi-gloss match up well with the center bezel?
Thanks,
-Chris

Chris....

On the '79 as far as I know the semi-gloss black is the correct paint for the console. It does match very close, but you must keep in mind that the same paint on two different surfaces as in this case plastic and metal may not be exact.

It's as close to original as you can hope for.

Ashtray door servicing

If you remove the 2 side pieces or carpeted panels to your console (it is easier if you take the seats out), You can remove the ashtray door without having to take off the console plate. Those pivot bushings are an internal expanding pin type. Use your needle nose plyers to release the inner pin and carefully slide them out.
I think I have had my console plate out and serviced this are of the car about 8 times since I owned the car for various reasons.

Dave

Project not done?

Well guys and gals, after re-painting my metal ash tray door last week I have noticed a few small bubbles in the final coat of paint!

I was not happy as it is NOT very easy to use a can of black spray paint in the inside of a Corvette that has red leather interior.

Like I had mentioned earlier it was a big improvement over the touch up black that I did just after purchasing the car with the chips all over the ash tray door.

Apparently the best I can determine from the bubbles in the paint are poor sanding procedures by me and possibly a cigarette burn into the top left side of the door causing the metal to melt and be uneven. This was where the largest of the paint bubbles were.

Sorry, but when it comes to my Corvette hobby this condition is NOT acceptable for my work. I sanded and painted again. Trying to hurry through the process did another poor sanding job and paint came out without any bubbles, but now paint was layered because of the poor sanding.

I'm doing it again now for the third time and will take my time and take the paint down to bare metal. Use a quality metal primer and then paint.

I am confident it will be fine. If I wasn't so darn particular the second time would have been fine.

Just thought I would let you know if you already don't know....

There are no short cuts when doing things right.

I've just painted mine. The console plate had to come out for another reason, so it was a good time to do it. As well as the two plastic pins to remove there is a return spring to disconnect. I stripped mine back to bare metal & sprayed it with Sperex satin black engine enamel. When dry I baked it in the oven for 1 hour at 140deg (the paint cures & sets dead smooth). The color match with the surrounding console is now perfect.
Paul

Paul thanks for the info. Didn't remove my plate, but the oven baking is a really good idea. I will move the car into the sunlight with the T-Tops off.

Right now I have just put the second coat of metal primer paint and its looking real good. I thought I would leave the primer on for at least a week to cure in the warm air and then attempt the finishing coat of black paint.

Thanks again for the good advise.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom