Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 79 power window problem

wonl2

Corvette
Took the vette out today to a car show and everything was great. After the show we went out for dinner so I put in the tops and closed the windows. When we finished dinner about an hour later I started the car and powered the windows to go down. The drivers side window went all the way down as it always has, the passenger window stopped about 2" from being all the way down and wouldn't go down any further. I could raise the window but the window wouldn't go down. I powered the window all the way up and there it stays, won't go down. The drivers window still works properly.
Everything in the car is the same as before the passenger window stopped going down. The lights don't dim, there is no hum, clicking or noise coming from the motor when the switch is activated. I was doing some homework (internet search) and possible causes consist of:
1. loose ground
2. bad/loose wiring
3. bad switch
4. bad motor

Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks in advance for all replies!

Phil

Since it's only not working in one direction, I would think that the switch is the problem. Or possibly the wiring but I'd check the switch first

Since it's only not working in one direction, I would think that the switch is the problem. Or possibly the wiring but I'd check the switch first

Since the window goes down to 2" only it makes me wonder about the switch. However, these switches have an Achilles Heal. they are cheaply made and what causes most to fail is the operator has a usual habit of pressing DOWN on the switch blade and not push-pull it. What this does over time is to push the tiny circuit board in the back of the switch until it loses contact with one or more of the internal switch connections. What I've done to correct this problem and not have to go buy another WAY over priced and cheaply made OEM or aftermarket switch is to remove the switch from the center console and remove the CCA completely. Clean the internal contacts and replace the CCA board but this time use a small amount of Super Glue or Gorilla Glue around the edges of the CCA board and switch housing. Let seal overnight and the CCA will never push loose again. This can also be done with the electric door lock switch as it's basically the same crappy design. If that doesn't solve your problem it is possible that something has come loose and is blocking the regulator from going all the way down. This will require the door panel to be removed which is really not that big of a deal to do. Just be very careful in popping the panel from the door frame to not rip the push plugs from the now 34 year old door panel material.

Good luck................... nut :D

I have the same problem with the drivers door on my 81

My drivers window will go up and down....only when it wants too!! There is no logical reason why this window should be acting the way it does. Any ideas??

Dan:chuckle

My drivers window will go up and down....only when it wants too!! There is no logical reason why this window should be acting the way it does. Any ideas??

Dan:chuckle
Bad ground is most likely. The motor grounds to the door frame, and that relies on the hinges to get a ground back the the chassis.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom