Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"79" Transmission leak - internal

JohnnyJ

I've been looking for the source of a transmission leak for months, and have just found it. When I removed the metal cover from around the converter/ flywheel,
hyd fluid starts to come down very slowly from inside. I'm told there are about 3 different seals that may be leaking. The question is, how hard is it to get the tranny out, and also to replace the seals. Also about how high do I have to get the car up in the garage to remove the unit. Is it worth the effort, or should I have the job done in a tranny shop?? Any information would be a great help, and much appreciated. Also, is the modulator valve on top of the transmission??
JohnnyJ

actually there are three seals that can leak one would be the large O ring around the pump two the gasket behind the pump and three the convertor seal.actually getting the trans out laying on your back is not fun at all .not too mention potentally dangerous.A real good heavy duty floor jack or better yet trans jack would be ideal to help remove it. get a transmission repair book by haynes and have at it.Normaly this could be done in a week end taking your time and its not all that bad doing the trans seals its the r+r of the trans that sucks.

I just dropped my trans about a month ago. It's not a bad job. There is a lot to it, but none of it is at all difficult. When you get to the point to drop the transmission, make sure somebody else is there with you. They say that it's only 100 - 120 pounds, but when you are laying on your back and benchpressing it down to the ground, it feels like 1000 pounds.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom