Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 transmission removal

JohnnyJ

I'm going to remove the tranny on my 79, and change the pump seals...leaks pretty good right now.
Does anyone have an easy step by step procedure, as I have never done this before.
Also, how long should this take....not knowing what I'm doing?? I plan on putting the front wheels up on ramps and the rear on jack stands...will that be high enough to get the trany out??
Cheers,
Johnny

Johnny

I did this on my 78 automatic last year. I was uncomfortable with replacing the front pump bushing myself since if you opps or do it wrong your trans turns into a TH350 puzzle. The seals (rear/ shifter)are easy and cheap but if you need the front pump bushing replaced I would go to someone qualified to do it.

I did mine using stands and a jack but I would recommend a trans holder or jack setup that allows you to change the angle for installation. I would allow a day in and out unless you have access to a lift and air tools.
Luck
John

JohnnyJ said:
I'm going to remove the tranny on my 79, and change the pump seals...leaks pretty good right now.
Does anyone have an easy step by step procedure, as I have never done this before.
Also, how long should this take....not knowing what I'm doing?? I plan on putting the front wheels up on ramps and the rear on jack stands...will that be high enough to get the trany out??
Cheers,
Johnny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom