Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 79 windshield question

A1Avette79

Corvette
1979 White Coupe
Is there a rubber seal on the 79 windshield? I took my vette to a shop to remove and remount the front windshield hoping to stop water leaks. They don't want to start until I have a new rubber seal (if needed). I dont see a seal on any of the catalog blow up diagrams. Is the windshield just glued in?
Thanks

Is there a rubber seal on the 79 windshield? I took my vette to a shop to remove and remount the front windshield hoping to stop water leaks. They don't want to start until I have a new rubber seal (if needed). I dont see a seal on any of the catalog blow up diagrams. Is the windshield just glued in?
Thanks

No rubber seal. Just the urethane, and a foam strip along the bottom.

As mentioned, the windshield in your '79 is glued in. If you are experiencing water leaks, most likely you have a rust hole in the windshield frame. Rust in the birdcage area is common in C2 & C3 models as GM didn't do much to protect this area of the car from corrosion. Removal of the windshield trim should give you some idea of the extend of the damage.

As mentioned, the windshield in your '79 is glued in. If you are experiencing water leaks, most likely you have a rust hole in the windshield frame. Rust in the birdcage area is common in C2 & C3 models as GM didn't do much to protect this area of the car from corrosion. Removal of the windshield trim should give you some idea of the extend of the damage.

Thanks. Thats what scares me the most. If its rust in the birdcage below the window level Ill have to take the dash out. That sucks.

when mine was removed,cutting thru the glue was going fine until it got to the rusted corner (Drivers),
that's where it cracked.:eyerole
I was hoping to save it that at that point it was junk!:ugh

Hey Bill. I've got a new windshield ready to go. I figure the way this project is going the windshield will definitely crack! I'm more concerned with what rust i find :chuckle

Before taking out the dash and windshield, I would suggest that you look in the firewall area, especially where the windshield frame meets the door posts, carefully for trouble spots there. The windshield frame extends into the firewall area along with the door posts. It is possible to have a rust spot in the cowl area which will channel water into the passenger area. Also don't be surprised to find rust pits where rust has yet to perforate the metal. It's really a shame that the General didn't put more attention in corrosion control in the birdcage.

Good luck with your project and may your problems be minor.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom