Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

80 Crossmember

8T8T2

Corvette
80 L-82 Silver / 82 Crossfire White-Silver
I'm going to up-grade to headers and dual exchust. Has anyone replaced there crossmember to the older style that was made to handle true dual pipes? If so where could one of these be purchased?
Thanks

Check all the Corvette junkyards on line.
I dont know why they call it a junkyard,they should call it a Corvette resting place.

I did. The bolt holes for the frame mate up (udnerside) but the locking pin that goes through the "ears" on the crossmember doesn't fit. You will need to modify it (elongate ears, drill new holes) to make that fit.

Here you can see it:
weld1.jpg

It looks like 2 pieces of metal but the outer is just dirt, the "ridge" is where the bolt head used to be.

Marck

Would the corvette retirement home be the only place to get one? Does anybody sell them new or reconditioned? [blasted-painted]

Twinnie-- When you say elongate the ears are you talking about welding extensions on?

You can elongate these holes but you must re-enforce it because otherwise the holes can tear out.
weld3.jpg

Or you can weld up these ears and drill new holes a bit higher so the crossmember fits.

weld2.jpg

You can do it the bubba way too and just weld the crossmember to the frame, however weld it where you can grind away the welds easily for when you have to drop the tranny. I advise one of the first 2 options, this one is kind of a bubba solution.

Marck

Thanks for info. guys. Twinnie, the pics will come in handy.

8T8T2,

My 81 was converted to true duals with the original cross member. A slight bend in the left side pipe and a small amount of metal removed from the cross member for a bit of extra clearence and it was just like it was made for it.

Have you looked into the Mid America true duals for 80-82? I have that set up. It fits very well. Bolts right on.

The MAD setup is not a mandrel bent setup. It's nice for if you don't want to mess with crossmembers but the older style member is desired for 2,75" or so pipes, almost straight back.

The BEST solution however is the bowtie overdrives tubular member. It gives room for some huge pipes straight back, uit's lighter and stiffer too.

Marck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom