Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

80 Vette steering

V

Vetboy

I have a 1980 Vette. The power steering seems very heavy. The car has the optional 255-60-15 tires. Does anyone have this car with these tires? While stopped it is difficult to turn the steering wheel with one hand. Is this normal with these tires? I changed everything in the front end (suspenion and power steering) and still doesn't seem right.
Thankyou for your help.

Click & Clack had an article about this in today's paper! Did you change the power steering pump?

Yes, I changed the power steering pump ( twice ).

vetboy,

I had similer problems with my 77. when I was moving every thing was ok but when i was at a light or in the garage with the motor off it was very anoying. My problem wasn't the power steering pump though. I replaced the steering pump, no fix, then I replaced the damper (steering stabilizer) and that was my fix. no more problems.

check to see if it is leaking. mine was actually touching the oil pan when turning. It looked as if maybe it was falling apart on the inside.

Hi Borderbum, thanks for the info! What are you calling the steering stabilizer? Is that the power steering cylinder? If so, I replaced it, with little effect. I also replaced the power steering control valve. Are these cars just heavy to steer? I had a 1976 Vette and I don't recall any steering difficulty. Does anyone have any comments about this? :cool

vetboy,

yes that was what i was talking about, i also replaced the power steering control valve on mine. i would check to see if the steering damper(power steering cylinder) rod is bent, mine was just barely and it was causing most if not all my problems.

My 77 is not heavy to steer at all, have you checked your ball joints?

Borderbum,
Yes, I changed the ball joints, along with the rest of the front end parts. Maybe it's the 255-60-15 tires?

I have 255/60 -15 BF Goodrich Radial T/As on my 1980 C3. I don't feel any steering problems at any speed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom