Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 defrost duct connector?

trane48

Corvette
1981 beige t tops
I have been fighting a defrost duct that appears to be too short to reach the dash vent. Does anyone know if there is some connector I am missing or am I supposed to build a duct?:confused

do you have an AIM??? (Assembly Instruction Manual)
It sounds like something has moved or has been moved...
was the dash ever apart or has it had work done behind the dash?????

I have been fighting a defrost duct that appears to be too short to reach the dash vent. Does anyone know if there is some connector I am missing or am I supposed to build a duct?:confused

That's just the way it was made. You aren't missing a thing. When I had my dash out, I used foil tape to tie them together. Still doesn't really work for s--t.

Thanks bid2bird.

That is what i thought. As you can see by my screen name this wont be a problem to fabricate something. I am going to try several size flex dusts and make a sleeve if i have to. If it works out well I will make 2 and give you one.

That is what i thought. As you can see by my screen name this wont be a problem to fabricate something. I am going to try several size flex dusts and make a sleeve if i have to. If it works out well I will make 2 and give you one.

Thanks bro. I would appreciate that. Kudos.

do you have an AIM??? (Assembly Instruction Manual)
It sounds like something has moved or has been moved...
was the dash ever apart or has it had work done behind the dash?????

Nope. When you take yours apart, you'll see. It was poorly designed.;)

It was never designed to be connected to the defroster duct. Standard GM design practice was to leave a gap between the heater box defrost outlet and the defroster duct on the dash panel, to isolate the dash from the noise and vibration of the blower; if they're solidly connected, the dash panel becomes a "drumhead" that amplifies the noise and vibration from the heater case. :)

:beer

I used a pice of CLOSED CELL FOAM from home depot and glued the bottom of it to the box thick enough to just press to defroster. worked great.

It was never designed to be connected to the defroster duct. Standard GM design practice was to leave a gap between the heater box defrost outlet and the defroster duct on the dash panel, to isolate the dash from the noise and vibration of the blower; if they're solidly connected, the dash panel becomes a "drumhead" that amplifies the noise and vibration from the heater case.

Then my question would be, why are the side vents solidly connected? Wouldn't they producte the same amplifing effect? And the engine also has a solid attacted intake piece to the body and are connected with 2 flex pieces to the intake. Why didn't they put the same think between the dash defroster duct and the defrost outlet? The defrost outlet and dash defrost connector fit perfectly together so why do that if they weren't designed to fit together? :)

Everything fits fine overhere but I have taken my dash out so :D If it doesn't fit a flex piece will be the solution for me!

Groeten Peter

another drawback.

This seems like a lot of heat and cold saturated air to release on my radio. No wonder I keep having trouble with it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom