Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 Front Emblem

Corvette
1981Dark Blue Metallic & 2004 conv. magnetic red
Need some assistance, please!
I'm gathering parts ahead to have my 81 painted and the front emblem is not cracked or broken but was exposed to a lot of sunlight I guess, very faded, and would like to replace it with a new or a used one in very good condition.
I have spent many hours searching for a new one, local dealerships, GM parts finder at local body shop, bone yards, all the catalogs I can find and wandered the internet endlessly. Neither tither nor fro or top to bottom was one to be found. Discontinued by GM 6/00 and no repo's as of yet, I think. Can anybody out there dig into their bag of tricks and give me a lead. I would really appreciate your help.

Chuck

I bought one from Ecklers a couple of years back. VettePaul.

I believe Chuck is correct about the 1981 nose emblem.. You can try the aftermarket guys, but, I think you'll find they don't have any in stock :(

I have an extra one floating around somewhere in my garage. I'll look through my stuff this weekend and see if I can find it. The emblem does show up on eBay every so often. If you visit the L81VetteRegistry (just click on the logo below) and go to the Links page you will see 2 1981 eBay sites ;)

Thank You for the feedback CMEGGA & RARE81, I have tried every catalog that I could find and also Chicago Corvette, Wilcox Corvette, Zip Products, Arts Parts, Corvette Junkyard and have found none, But the search will continue?

CMEGGA, I have been talking with a lot of people about shops in the Binghamton NY area and have seen some of the cars they have done. I found that some shops prefer to not do Vettes because of time I guess. I have been given phone numbers or names to contact people who have had their Vettes done, those shops I have more trust in because they are open about the work that is done. I plan on attending the crusin/palozin show in Whitney Point on 6/29 to talk to more people about painting. Last year there was about 250 cars (not all vettes) there, more this year.

Rare81, Thank you, they are very rare and my plans are months away. I spoke with Wilcox Corvette and they didn't know when repo will be available but there is a demand for this part, so some day soon I hope. My emblem is OK but when I get the car painted it would be nice to put a new emblem on.

Again Thank you for the replies

Chuck

cmegga, an update, I visited a body shop that I called and they are in the process of doing an 86. I looked over their prep work and today I will be looking at the vette after it was painted. The shop owners that I spoke with were welcome to me seeing their work during and after. With the Syracuse area being so large there should be shops that would let you see the painted vettes they have done.

Rare81, I called TRIM PARTS (refered by 82DUKMAN), they made some of the emblems for GM and there are no plans to date to do a repo run. A supplier in OHIO suggested that 1980 is the same shape but in chrome, pull the plastic inserts out and put them in the 1981 emblem. My fear is that what I have might get ruined trying this.

My search is not over but thanks to those who gave me additional directions to look, I appreciate your assistance.

Chuck

Chuck,

The emblem on my 81 isn`t great either, someone tried to pry it off, and I thought about getting it airbrush painted on the nose. There is a guy in my area who does motor cycle helmets and gas tanks and his work superb.

Just a thought

J.

Just checking again to see if an 1981 front emblem is out there.

I have been watching EBAY and going to shows but still no replacement. Carlisle is just around the corner and I will continue my search there. If you see a big guy with a smile on his face and an emblem in his hand , that will be me, say hello if you have the time.

Chuck

CS,
Except for the frame the flags sit in they are. The 1980 is a chrome frame and the 1981 is a metal of some kind dark in color and painted black.

CHUCK, Have you found one yet, I FOUND the extra one I have :D
email me or PM to me.

BudD
:w

I sent you an email through the profile page and if you don't get it my email is cwfran611@aol.com

CAC has been the most wonderful site for information and thoughts, Thank You

Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom