Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 Horns Physical Locations?

91-Vetteman

Corvette
1991 Blue Coupe
81 Horn(s) Physical Locations?

I have owned my 81 Vette for 4 years now and my horn(s) (not sure if there should be one or two) have never worked. Well, I pulled my radiator / shroud / electric fan assembly this weekend, I will be replacing with a Dewitt aluminum, and I figured I would find my horn(s) and try and troubleshoot. I figured they had to be up in the nose area somewhere and I would be able to get at them with all this available working space and things out of the way.

Well, step one in troubleshooting a success; there are no horn(s). My Chilton’s manual did not provide any location or wiring info to help me locate. Can someone please provide specific physical location of the horn(s) mounting? I would also like horn wiring color and wire run locations.

:w John,

The Horns are located up front under the nose between the headlights ;) Somewhere around here I posted a photo of them... I'll take a quick look and see if I can find it ;)

Bud

I too had a helk of a time locating where my horns went after I had had the body repaired
if you look in the ares where I have outlined in white you will find your horns there are held in by a single bolt and are grounded thru that
I ended up looking at tim gedmeyers corvette to find them!!!
fyi you become a contortionist to get these in and out!!!!!

good luck!!!

Note to self.... Check Rare and see where her horns are ;) Thanks Bill for the hands on info ;) There are a few other items that are not exactly where the GM Shop Manual says they are too :J

Bud

My horns are to the extreme outside of the underhood area, which is to say they aren't under the hood. Reach under the hood opening to the outside on each side, on the front of the radiator support. That's where mine are located, I'm pretty sure the one was original. After I replaced the one, I had to adjust it, as the headlight assembly hit it when I put the lights down. If yours are in the same place, you might wanna practice cursing now!

Craig

The green wire is the one for the horns...on the driver side there are 2 wires that go into one plug and one wire on the pass side...

Bud,When I got mine back from the body shop, I had asked the previous owner If he remembered where they went and he had forgotten..:ugh
so I had searched all over the nose and tried differnet ways to hook up and find the location of where they belonged,but to no avail..thats when I had called Tim,asked him to come over one Saturday and spent 10 minutes blowing the horns to find there location...I was suprised to say the least that they were now where near where the AIM said they were supposed to go,but relieved that now I knew where they went!!!! :upthumbs

I found them !! I found them !!

Thanx Bill, they were right were you described, front corners, between the headlights and fender well !! And If I need to replace one or both, I will be lining up my series of curses !! Wow !! Now to trace the lines, fuses, and relays to get them working. Thanx to all !!

the relay is locatednear the fuse panel by where your left foot would be it is a yellow colored box about the size of a matchbox car,with 2 clips holding it on, one on each side.
I haven't had a chance to find out if GM still makes them or has any available as mine is shot as well
the part number shows up on the restoration parts web site so I'm hoping.....

Nice to see everybody else has them at the same location.
When I was looking into the assembly manual I was thinking.. what did Bubba do this time... ;)

Groeten Peter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom