Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 nose emblem

quickjagg

Corvette
White 1981
Does anyone know where I can get one? mines worn pretty bad from the sun, and I would kind of like to replace it. How would you go about restoring one if there aren't any for sale?
Thanks for the help guys!
-Chris

Chris,

Replicas of the original are available through Ecklers, Mid-America, or or to name a few. I believe that the gas lid emblem is the same as the nose emblem that you are looking for.

Dale- I have also been looking for that emblem in repro for years for a spare. I checked my latest Mid-America and Ecklers catalogs. All I am finding is a listing for gas door emblems for the 1981 model. I checked Ecklers website and still came up blank. You've got me scratch'n my head :confused

Dave
p.s. the gas lid emblem is completely flat where the nose emblem has that slight bend in it for the curvature of the bumper cover.
In the original 1981 parts book they are different part #'s.

Dave,

You might want to make a call to Ecklers to confirm it, but I am almost certain that they will interchange. Mine were replaced about 5 years ago by the previous owner and he indicated that they came from Ecklers. Maybe it will take the slight curve shape when bolted down.

Thanks Dale,I suppose it is worth a try. The one on my car now is ok,just would like to have an 'extra' around!

Dave

Here's the straight scoop ;)

The nose emblem and the gas lid emblem are different! The nose emblem has a "V" shape to the flags and the gas lid emblem is straight. (also they have different part numbers ;) )

I have a used NOSE emblem I purchased off Ebay a few years ago, I was going to use it on a display board I haven't put together yet :(

To the best of my knowledge the NOSE emblem is not being reproduced and is not available from any of the major aftermarket Corvette suppliers. I've seen them NOS on Ebay and have bid as high as $75 and lost.. From the L81VetteRegistry you can link directly to 2 Ebay 81 sites ;)

Good luck in your search, and if all else fails let me know I would be willing to let my used one go if someone really needed one and couldn't find one. Another member almost took this one I have, but he found a NOS at Carlisle (sp) this past year.

Rare- Thanks for the info. You confirmed what I thought as far as the scarcity of this emblem. It's hard to believe no repro company has been up to the task of reproducing this!

Dave

i really think the almighty dollar has something to do with the scarcity of decent repros.

Usually, if its a one-year-only-item or a low demand item... you are SOL.

However, thats not always true. Look at the 25th aniversary emblems. They are everywhere.

Go figure. Economics drive the world and demand makes or breaks the item. Write your congressmen.

I got one

Chris,

I have an extra on and you may have it. I got it at Carlisle this summer. I got just because it saw it. Not mint but likely better than yours. Send me a Private Message on the CAC with your address and I'll ship it up to you this week. No charge to another L81 guy.

Regards........... Nut

Check Corvette Central. I have bought from Ecklers, Corvette America and Paragon, but Corvette Central consistantly has the best price on most items. They are also accessable on line;
www.corvettecentral.com

re:

Thanks for the information guys it helped out a ton!

-Chris

Paragon has them - #4134, $28.00. Don't limit yourselves to outfits like Eckler's and Mid-America - there are other suppliers out there like Paragon that have more than cup-holders and carbon fiber.

The Gas Cap Emblem is still available. I've seen them on the shelf of Corvette Shops out here in CA..

As a temporary fix, a 1980 Nose emblem will work, just paint the chrome with a flat/semi-gloss black. The 1980 Nose emblem is still available, I haven't figured that one out :confused

BudD
:bu :w

Re:

I just looked at Dr. Rebuilds website and found listed an "81 Frint Emblem" number 8055127 for 20.90. Does anyone know if they still sell this???
Thanx for the help!
-Chris

Here is the problem that I had finding one.

I searched every web site that I could find and some salvage yards too with no luck. Spent better part of a year looking, went so far as to contact the company that made them for GM and thay had no plans of making repos yet(as of august 02). A couple of very generous CAC members extended themselves ( GREAT PEOPLE) with spares or ones at flea markets. But I was very fortunate to find a new one at Carlisle only from walking and talking at every booth til I hit the JACK POT. Paid thru the nose, $55, but I have a replacement.

The gas lid and hood emblem are different as Rare81 said and yes the 1980 is trimmed in silver not black but could be used as a replacement til aftermarkets are available.

I wish you lots of luck and I will also look for you too.

Chuck :w

quickjagg said:
Does anyone know where I can get one? mines worn pretty bad from the sun, and I would kind of like to replace it. How would you go about restoring one if there aren't any for sale?
Thanks for the help guys!
-Chris

I had the same problem and tried to use the one on the gas door but it is slightly different. The flags on the rear are square cornered as opposed to the angle corner on the hood emblem. I tried that first then went to a Corvette restoration shop and they sold me a used one for $10.00. A little plexi polish on the top and some satin black on the bracket itself and it looks like new.

corvette america has them listed in their cataloge but you have to call for a price. the 80 and 82's are over 50 bones so you know they're going to soak ya if they won't even list the price.lol ph.# 1-800-458-3475

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom