Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: '81 repaint

tcxd40

Corvette
(2) Black '93s, purple '81, '69 vintage racer
Starting the repaint on my '81 this week and need some info. on SMC prep.

My car has been repainted in the past and someone used a DA on it:confused leaving a very wavy surface when they stripped it. I have blocked the entire body which leaves the SMC in it's virgin state.
Does anyone know what to apply over the bare SMC or do you prime and paint as with any other surface?

tcxd40

I believe just prime and paint. Thats what was done to mine when it was repainted.

I'd suggest using one of the heavier primers (I used a fiber-fill type) for the first coat, then block sand it again. Under the circumstances (the DA) it's hard to see when your straight unless you have something to compare to. Hit it with the primer, then fog some dark colored spray paint very lightly and block it until the fog is gone. I'd do it by quarters, and it may take a couple times to really get straight. Be careful sanding near the edges, you can make those nice lines disapper quickly. Then you'll know your straight, hit it with the primer you want to use and shoot it!

Thanks for the input.

The prime and paint is what it figured, however never work with SMC only steel and steel is a prime and paint.....

I'll let you know how things turn out.

Nothing special about SMC other than how it's made and molded.

:)

So as long as the prep work is done correctly the paint job should last as long as it is care for?

So as long as the prep work is done correctly the paint job should last as long as it is care for?

That would depend on the expertise of the painter, but, yes, with good prep and a good coat of paint, the new paint ought to last.

:)

After putting on a primer. My vette was reblocked / sanded but in some areas they didn't sand don't to the finest grid. No problem when the new paint is on and still thick but after a month or two you could see a pattern in the reflection with the sun. About the same as normal orange peel but if you want a perfect reflection something to keep in mind :)
Good luck!

Groeten Peter

Car is still not in paint, my buddy who owns the shop is rather weary of the just prime and paint. He's concerned with the SMC issues of paint poping. We have already contacted PPG, Dupont, NAPA, Restorer's Choice and a number of others. Everybody tells us thiers is the best.....Can anyone tell me what primer they used?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom