Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 Shocks

George81

Corvette
2009 Crystal Red Metallic Tint
Looking to replace the original shocks on my 81. Car only has 21000 original miles but the shocks are rusted and there is evidence of leaks. Thoughts and suggestions! I'll be doing rubber replacement at the same time.

Are you using your '81 for more than pleasure driving? If not, the recommended GM replacement shocks would be fine. A set of KYBs would be an affordable upgrade. No real need to go to Bilsteins or beyond for nothing more than street driving.

Does your car have the fiberglass rear spring? Might want to check the owner's manual to see if a specific replacement is suggested for the FG spring.

:)

Driven just for fun and pleasure! Rear is FG according to build sheet but I'll varify. Thanx the ride is ok just a little sloppy, like the tires are low but they're fine. Thanx!

AC Delco is a great ride....:upthumbs

I owned a new '81 for many years. We found that (believe it or not) the best shock was the Sear's gas shock. Cheap and reliable and a great guarantee at the time. Especially with the composite rear spring.:)

I owned a new '81 for many years. We found that (believe it or not) the best shock was the Sear's gas shock. Cheap and reliable and a great guarantee at the time. Especially with the composite rear spring.:)

There ya go.
I'm running the Sears shocks on my '68 and have no complaints.

:)

Manufactured and sold in the Dayton OH. Might as well support them. GM doesn't seem to want to. Thanx again!:beer
Delco hasn't manufactured shocks for almost ten years (or anything else, for that matter) - they're strictly a marketing organization. Delco buys them from Monroe and Gabriel, puts Delco stickers on them, and puts them in a Delco box. Same shocks are a lot cheaper direct from Monroe or Gabriel.

:beer

Delco hasn't manufactured shocks for almost ten years (or anything else, for that matter) - they're strictly a marketing organization. Delco buys them from Monroe and Gabriel, puts Delco stickers on them, and puts them in a Delco box. Same shocks are a lot cheaper direct from Monroe or Gabriel.

:beer
Was just wondering about that! Just put some new Delco gas shocks that I've had in a box for a few years on the front of my black 79. After peeling the label off I noticed NO mention of Delco, unlike the shocks I took off. Old ones have Delco stamped into them and even the date code. I'm actually looking for a used front shock that might have a good lower bushing on it. That's all that's wrong with one of my originals. Would like to press in a new bushing and put them back on. The old bushing came out OK, so hopefully I can get a new bushing back in. Mike

Looking to replace the original shocks on my 81. Car only has 21000 original miles but the shocks are rusted and there is evidence of leaks. Thoughts and suggestions! I'll be doing rubber replacement at the same time.
I just put new Delco gas shocks on my 80. Improved the ride and am happy with them. Even though it only has 22,000 miles on it, the old shocks were kinda nasty looking.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom