Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 81 Tires and rims

M

macneil82

I'm new to Corvette's, just bought my first (81 Coupe).
It's a fixer upper so you'll being hearing a lot of questions from me.
(You guys just gave me a fix for a headlight locked in the "up" position).
I want to replace bald tires and rusted rims...any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks! Tom

I wonder if you have the wrong rims on the car??? I just have the factory alum wheels on mine, they look great with the clear coat removed and shinned up. You can still buy new versons of this wheel on ebay, and there are different center caps you can buy to change the look a little. OR, you can buy custom wheels, just make sure you get the correct off set on the wheels or you can lots of troubles.

8x15 ralley wheels were standard; 8x15 aluminum wheels were optional. Both are available through the Corvette aftermarket.

:)

Go to Ecklers. They sell the original style slotted rims which are "correct" for the car. You will not find the original Eagle GT's anymore, so the closest match will be Goodyear Eagle GT II's. The good news is that, compared to the price in the mid-80's, these tires are relaively cheal at about $80 each. P255 x 60 R15 is the size you'll need.

Your rusted rims are either the wrong ones or the ralleye wheels, which are steel with chrome trim rings and center caps. Go for the Aluminum rims...

Good move?

I found a Firestone Tire (Firehawk Indy 500) in a 255/60/R15 that is rated better than the Eagle GT II, would this tire be a suitable replacement?
Still looking around for 15X8 rims...expensive.

Go to Ecklers. They sell the original style slotted rims which are "correct" for the car. You will not find the original Eagle GT's anymore, so the closest match will be Goodyear Eagle GT II's. The good news is that, compared to the price in the mid-80's, these tires are relaively cheal at about $80 each. P255 x 60 R15 is the size you'll need.

Your rusted rims are either the wrong ones or the ralleye wheels, which are steel with chrome trim rings and center caps. Go for the Aluminum rims...

They have the 15 X 8 factory alum wheels that are chromed, on ebay,$900. plus lug nuts and center caps, would like these over the factory finish, no polishing as often. ZIP also has the original wheels and caps.

Do an internet search. I just sold a set of perfect aluminum wheels with steel center caps, lug nuts and Firestone firehawk Indy 500-255/60-15s for $700.00. Tires only had 4000 miles. They're out there.

A hit??

Have a guy here in Havre De Grace MD that will sell me four 15X8 Corvette Ralley Wheels for $50 each or $200 for 4, also has four center caps for $50 (4), and four trim rings for $60 (4), total $310...is it a deal or should I keep looking? I will need lug nuts and locks and valve stems and maybe a torque wrench? Any feedback would be much appreciated, I'm supposed to meet up with the guy tomorrow evening (Thursday) Thanks! Tom

They have the 15 X 8 factory alum wheels that are chromed, on ebay,$900. plus lug nuts and center caps, would like these over the factory finish, no polishing as often. ZIP also has the original wheels and caps.

I have BFG Radial T/A's on my car. I like 'em, but I'm going to get a set of Firestone Firehawks Indy's as my next set (if I stay with 15" rims). The BFG T/A's really have no performance ability. Though they can make a good smoke show....not that I would know anything about that :chuckle

Ask me how I like mine next month, ordering today $88 ea for 255/60 R15 Tire rack has an installation section, put in your zip and get local installers w/prices and ratings by customers...sounds good, we'll see.

I have BFG Radial T/A's on my car. I like 'em, but I'm going to get a set of Firestone Firehawks Indy's as my next set (if I stay with 15" rims). The BFG T/A's really have no performance ability. Though they can make a good smoke show....not that I would know anything about that :chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom