Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: '82 Electrical & Tranmission Schizophrenia

C-3_Joshua

Corvette
1982 Black T-Top
Hi thanks so much for your help!

My car is a 1982 Standard T-Top, automatic transmission.

The following symptoms are all occurring at once so I'm wondering if they are related or if they are independent.

1) Temperature, Oil Pressure and Battery gauges seem to be on the fritz. They rise and fall at different times and it's hard to get a read on when it happens the most or if there is a pattern. My current feeling is that it is happening when driven for about 20 minutes and going up an incline.

2) The transmission slips in and out of gears as if I am at the speed where it needs to shift into a lower gear going up an incline. But it doesn't make the shift permanently. This also happens while coasting. It seems to coincide with the battery gauge getting into the high (18) red zone. This then brings the engine temperature close to the red zone. It doesn't stay there though. It backs off rather quickly... after about ten minutes of driving.

3) At night with the lights on: they flicker and the two above symptoms start up again (transmission slip & battery gauge).

I have replaced the battery and done some research on the transmission slippage. Tomorrow I'll be replacing the gauges fuse just to be sure. But it seems like a bigger electrical issue is at hand. As if signals aren't clear or getting crossed, etc.

My driver's side brake light is out too, just FYI. I'm not sure if that plays into this.

The cigarette lighter and antenna don't work either and I've replaced the fuses for them. Perhaps they are connected as well?

Until I replaced the battery, it was having trouble starting in the heat and didn't seem to have enough power to turn her over. However, it seemed as if the battery was holding a decent charge.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joshua

Normally I would say it sounds like a bad ground, but that doesn't explain the volt meter going up to 18v. A fault in the alternator would though.
Under normal conditions your volt meter reads around 13v?
when the lights flicker do they get brighter than normal or dimmer?

Normally I would say it sounds like a bad ground, but that doesn't explain the volt meter going up to 18v. A fault in the alternator would though.
Under normal conditions your volt meter reads around 13v?
when the lights flicker do they get brighter than normal or dimmer?

Thank you!

Yes the normal voltage reads 13v. The light dim when it flickers.

The lights dimming is most likely a ground issue, a few of the other things you've said could also be grounds or something else entirely. Would be a good idea to get that alternator checked though. 18v spikes won't be doing anything on the car any good.

Welcome to CAC!!!!
enjoy and keep your questions coming if you have any more!!!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom