Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82 Parking Brake Cover Removal?

HER-82

Corvette
1982 Collector Edition
Hey Gang:

I have a few blemishes in my Parking Brake Cover that BUG ME. They are minor, and I've never lost points for them. But I've been thinking of taking it out so I could refinish it.

What holds it in? is it complicated, or just a "Pop-Out". Thanks for the tips

Gerry

The soft cover fits to the steel frame with tabs and slots. The frame has 2 srews in back and 2 in front right under the coin tray on the shifter console. These front scews sandwitch the soft cover between the console and the steel frame. It looks like the front ones are tough to get to with window switch in the way. You might have to take the shifter console loose to gain clearance for a tool to get the screws out. Im doing a interior rebuild and those 2 scews where missing when I took the interior apart. I think I know why now

The soft cover fits to the steel frame with tabs and slots. The frame has 2 srews in back and 2 in front right under the coin tray on the shifter console. These front scews sandwitch the soft cover between the console and the steel frame. It looks like the front ones are tough to get to with window switch in the way. You might have to take the shifter console loose to gain clearance for a tool to get the screws out. Im doing a interior rebuild and those 2 scews where missing when I took the interior apart. I think I know why now
Yep, the two screws in the front are a PITA but need to be removed in order to remove the soft cover. Re-installing them are not fun either. As mentioned, some just leave them out but I'm picky. Screws go there so they have to be installed. If there is anything else you have to do there now is the time...lol.

Definitely not a "pop out" situation. I found that out while working on my '81. In order not to "cram" and force the removal/installation (and risking breakage of something), I found that I needed to start at the upper center console and loosen all the screws down to the shift console in order to get at those two front screws that Spikebot81 and Vette79 were referring to. (I'm sure there's a better method that I'm missing.)

Since I was hoping for a quick replacement, it turned out to be a bit more tedious and time consuming than I expected. :hb But, now it looks good and I'm happy I did it.

I'd say, if you're going to do it, then go all the way and start at the upper console. You'll be happier with yourself. Otherwise the installation may bug you just as much as the original blemishes on the cover. Best of luck! :thumb

Many Thanks

After reading the responses to this thread, I've decided to just wait and leave well enough alone for now.

Some day I'll have it apart for something else and deal with it till then... "It'll be our little secret"
The Blemish I'm refering to is so small it didn't stop me from winning "Best Interior" last summer at a show with at least 110+ cars. Like many of us I'm just such a perfectionist, now that I have noticed it ... it bugs me.

Thanks for the insight! Glad I didn't attempt a "Quickie":thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom