Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'82 power steering control valve and cylinder

Flowjoe

Corvette
1970 - LT1, 1982 Standard
Got a good look at the aforementioned items today. Both are leaking significantly. Is it better to rebuild them? Buy reman'd units or spring for new pieces? Recommendations on brand, etc. Welcomed.

Are the leaking or is one of the hoses above it leaking down on to it????
I rebuilt the valve several years ago.less expensive,and I like the sense of accomplishment.

Are the leaking or is one of the hoses above it leaking down on to it????
I rebuilt the valve several years ago.less expensive,and I like the sense of accomplishment.
Pretty sure it is from the valve itself...May pressure wash to see if I can get a better picture of what is occurring. The power cylinder is definitely leaking past the shaft. A friend has a shop so I was able to get it on a lift yesterday and he was able to give it the once over with me. He has a lot more experience than I with theses parts so the diagnosis was largely his. I have a small oil leak ( valve covers for sure but not positive yet if that is all) so it is all pretty grungy down there. There is,however, most definitely power steering fluid in the mix.

I've been doing some reading after posting. It seems that opinions tend to not rebuilding theses days as the kits (3 in some cases to get all the parts, although Corvette a Central seems to have a fairly complete one) needed are almost as expensive as a reman'd unit. Plus, it would seem that the wear is often great enough that rebuilding it often does not fully or permanently solve the issue. Although some, like youself, seem to have success.

I found some by Lares Corporation that offer a lifetime warranty and are rebuilt in the USA...anyone have first hand knowledge of their product?

I see Lone Star listed as a good choice but they are wholesale only...any clue on where to buy one of their units?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom