Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82 rear end drop when shift into drive

Todds82

Hey guys, my 82 collectors edition has a very noticeable drop lr rear squat when i shift into drive. Any thoughts? Shocks? The fiberglass leafspring appears to be fine. Thanks in advance.

Some squat when you put it into gear is just the nature of the beast when the driveline is loaded. If it seams severe it could be weak shocks. I don't think the fiberglass spring gives up over time like a steel spring. I recall one of our engineer members stating once that they are either good or broken. No middle ground.

Tom

Thanks Tom, i was suspecting it is the nature of the beast as you said. I'm planning on upgrading some of the suspension components, bushings etc and will likely add new shocks since i really don't know how old they are.

my 72 does the same thing and did when I bought it with 40k miles back in 1979. Every automatic C3 I saw does it. Enjoy the car and don't worry about it. If you have suspension issues it will show up in other areas.

My 1982 also does this, so if you find out something's broken update this thread so I know what to fix :thumb

Good luck!

Some squat when you put it into gear is just the nature of the beast when the driveline is loaded. If it seams severe it could be weak shocks. I don't think the fiberglass spring gives up over time like a steel spring. I recall one of our engineer members stating once that they are either good or broken. No middle ground.

Tom

If the shocks are good, then wouldn't it squat the same, but slower?

Doesn't matter

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hey folks, just swinging back around to say thx for the input. So i decided to replace the leaf spring bolts and rubber cushions which were in pretty bad shape. The fiberglass leafspring certainly seems to be as good as when it was new! I also installed new shocks and a rear sway bar since mine didn't have one. There's still some squat but it certainly seems much less pronounced.
On a different note, anyone ever replace the steering rag joint?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom