Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82 Vette owners

snr8715

For you 82 Vette owners as you know your shifter will not go back into 1st gear.Simply take your cover off driver side of console and either file or grind with die grinder the shifter stop so that the shifter will go into 1st gear manually.

You mean I can get this thing to stay in 1st gear faster than 10 MPH without stomping on the gas?

Please elaborate!!!
This has been one of my wishes for quite some time.

Oh that is cool!

Is that grinding done on the ratchet mechanism in the shifter? I am not sure where the shift stop is.
I accidently downshifted it to first once at about 25 MPH once when the shift linkage was mis-adjusted. It scared the bejeepers out of me, but I wanted it to do it all the time after that.
Thanks

Pete

Yes, it is on the shifter. Take the cover off the driver side of console and pull shifter all the way to 2nd and you will see what I am talking about. Just grind or file enought for it to go into 1st.

You and me, both.

I had TH350's on every other car I have ever had, and This 700R4 is just driving me crazy.:eyerole It leaks, shifts too low, and I can't imagine how they thought that it was better than the TH350's.
Update tomorrow!:w

Pete.

wishuwerehere82 said:
I had TH350's on every other car I have ever had, and This 700R4 is just driving me crazy.:eyerole It leaks, shifts too low, and I can't imagine how they thought that it was better than the TH350's.
This 700R4 is driving me nucking futs!!!!!
Even with 3.73s, when I'm driving thru my neighborhood, this damned thing INSISTS on staying in the higher gears, even while driving just 20-25 MPH;
it ends-up 'lugging and chugging' unless I 'hold' it into 2nd Gear manually...
It was even WORSE with the OEM 2.87:1 gears...

As poor-performing as a stock Cross-Fire is, this 700R4 (which is in PERFECT working-order...) is even worse;
even with just 22,600 miles on it, I'm planning for 'someday' replacing this with a 350 HP crate-motor/THM350, just like a REAL car would have

Don't trash it yet!

I just did the shifter mod on mine this afternoon,and it works great!!!!! it's simple too! I can't believe that they wouldn't put a 1st gear option on the vette, but with a little time(1/2Hr.) with the die grinder and file, you can have it.
It's like the postings that snr8715 outlined.
Just take the carpet off the drivers side of the console, grind off about 1/4" of the bracket that has the shifter detents on it so it will go down to 1st gear. The tranny linkage will click into gear when you get to the right point.
I left a shoulder on the bracket so it can't be accidentally shifted into 1st without depressing the button on the shift knob.
Thanks to snr7815 for the great idea!!!!
My enjoyment factor just went up 1000%

Pete.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom