Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 82 won't start

fast

Corvette
82 silver
New toy after too long. She sat for 3 years with no gas. Fixed the obvious problems and maintenance items and it fired right off. I was working on getting odds and ends repaired ie heater, door latchs, brakes and was running real good. Even managed to get her inspected. Put in a new vacuum check valve seemed to hurt more then help. (tried with old one no joy) Drove a quick errand and smelled something that wasn't quite electrical (could have been cleaners I used in the interior), but the car was still running good. Stopped and put $50 of gas in. Started OK and drove home. Got up this morning kind of tried to start once and now all she does is turn. This is my sixth vette and I'm a long way from being a novice but this has me stumped.
Any suggestions?;help before I end up like this:W

My 82 CE was a bad ECU ....................replace it a no problems

also check to see if your fuel pump is working , if i rember , the engine needs to read oil pressure before fuel is released too

Thanks for the info. Mine may have got wet. A couple of other things. The check engine light doesn't always come on since this began, but when it did I managed to get a blink code, but all it does is blink 12. According to my chart this tells me there's a fault between the ECM and the distributor. Is this right?

you should definetly replace the stock fuel pump with a 85 fuel pump! i thought it was crazy but it made my car run 100% better right off the bat

code 12
distributor pulses - this indicates that the distributor spark tuning reference pulses generated by the pickup coil are not recieved by the ecm

look up geek in a vette on here.... he is a genius when it comes to these cars!:D

Check the tach wire on the distributor. That is where the feedback for the ECM comes from.
Also, check to see if the fuel pump is coming on when you turn the ignition on. Listen for the buzzzz-click from the pump before you crank it.
You may have blown a fuse for either the fuel pump or the fuel injectors(2).
Or the ECM reset fuse might have blown. It's in the battery compartment behind the battery on the outboard side. The main ECM fuse is on the fuse block, but since you are reading codes it seems to be working.
And when you read the codes, it is very confusing if you have code 12, since the Check Engine Light flashes 3 12's before it reads the active codes, then 3 more 12's when it's finished.

More on the crossfire here, including wiring diagrams for the ECM and components.
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/twinnie/system.html

Good info thanks!!! Finally got some fire. Wasn't getting any power through the ECM fuse under a load while trying to start. Looks like part of the fuse socket is damaged. Can't see how bad. I may have to pull the fuse box or by pass the damaged part of the box. Starts now but real hard time of it. Figures I was working on vacuum lines when this started or not started. I hope I find a big vacuum leak that's simple to fix that's causing the hard starting. At least I got to drive a little today. I'll find out in the morning if it's a cold start or warm starting problem. Once she starts everything works fine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom