Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82CE Wheel Color Question

Corvette
1982 Collector Edition
Hey All.. Maybe you NCRS guys can help sort this out for me (us):

A question popped up on the 82 CE Registry, that i am unsure of. I was always let to believe that a bronze color between the fins on the rims of our cars is what the factory put on there.

Such as this one (Not my car):
7-correctbrownishwheelfins.jpg

Now, mine has had black between those fins like this, ever since i had her in 1993:

7-myblackwheelfins.jpg

Some people claim that their cars came from factory with black between the fins and only the center cap bronze. ;shrug

What say the NCRS if anything ?

Thanks in advance
:w
-Stefan

This is just my own experience, but the most often color I've seen on 82 collector Edition models was a slight gold spray in between the spokes? FWIT

Thanks killain!

It came to light, that apparently that the black finned ones are Replacements from GM.

There is lots of black fins out there. Still somewhat of an unsatisfied answer, as the book states bronze (darkish brown//very dark silver beige), not black, so for those who want their car judged they might get a deduction, unless NCRS judges consider the GM Replacements ok. Not my issue for sure, but interesting nonetheless.

-Stefan

That should be described in the '80-'82 NCRS Judging Guide, in the "Exterior" section, under "Wheels & Tires". :)

That should be described in the '80-'82 NCRS Judging Guide, in the "Exterior" section, under "Wheels & Tires". :)

I wouldnt know John, i am not a NCRS judge. :L

Seriously, if it doesnt go against any publications legal stuff, would it be possible to pass that info onto the 82 CE group?

Though i dont expect NCRS to judge the black wheels as anything coming out of the factory. As far as i know, the black ones are Replacements, meaning (To me at least), they didnt come like that from Bowling Green.

-Stefan

Seriously, if it doesnt go against any publications legal stuff, would it be possible to pass that info onto the 82 CE group?

I judge 57's through 67's, so I don't have the '80-'82 Judging Guides. If you want to know the correct original configuration of the '80-'82's (in great detail), that JG is available from the NCRS on-line store at www.ncrs.org. :)

I judge 57's through 67's, so I don't have the '80-'82 Judging Guides. If you want to know the correct original configuration of the '80-'82's (in great detail), that JG is available from the NCRS on-line store at www.ncrs.org. :)

You're a good sales man John.. :L

Yes, finally broke down and ordered it. Should be a fun read (for me, it's the How Many Items are In-Correct count that might get me :chuckle)

-Stefan

It should be a bronze color paint between the fins. I am not aware of any painted black. If there are some out there I have never seen them.But almost positive it is not correct.

It should be a bronze color paint between the fins. I am not aware of any painted black. If there are some out there I have never seen them.But almost positive it is not correct.

Well, define correct.. :chuckle

2nd pic in the first post is my car and i can assure you it's black. ;)

John, i got the book. Very interesting. Thanks for making me get it. Once i have some free time, i will read through it and start a board with all the incorrect items (for my amusement if nothing else). :thumb

And i hope no one is going to go after me (NCRS-wise), but here is the text (NCRS Tech Manual, page 65, rev 1):
The background area behind the spokes was a moderatly dark silver beige color for the wheels, with a slightly darker brown for the center cap. Very dark (virtually black) background colors have been observed on GM Replacement wheels and caps. It is generally believed that these were non-typical of factory production wheels.

So, i dont believe i would get a points deduction, if it mattered. But it appears the GM Replacement is holding water. Now, i have to find out how and why GM did that.

And interestingly enough, the Revision Paper was inserted with the above quote in cursiv (changed) text. :chuckle

-Stefan

PS: Anyone shed light as to WHY GM replaced the wheels??

last line tells it all - It is generally believed that these were non-typical of factory production wheels.

and, so if I was judging your car you would receive whatever the standard deduction would be for a REPLACEMENT wheel

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom