Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84-86 Vettes

M

Mooose

Hi,
I am preparing to buy my first Corvette in the spring of 02. Although I have my favorite body style preferences I am drawn to the 84-86 because of the prices being more reasonable. My questions are:
1. Since my budget will be in the range of $7k to 10k would the better buy be an 84-86 or a mid-late 70s model in the same price range?
2. Is the cross-fire injection system a reliable system or is that going to cause me problems all the time?
I have tons of questions about these wonderfully unique machines.
Mooose (aka Scott)

Hi, Moose.

Welcome to the CAC! Between the C3 and C4, I just prefer the look of the Sharks. I've had my 82 only a little over a year, but I've had no problems the the Crossfire. It's only a 200hp engine, but that's enough for me. I've seen some great prices on C4's and would love to have a C4 'beater' :gap .

-Guy

Re: Re: Hi, Moose.

Racer78 said:

Guy, be nice :)

I'll try, Keith, :L but when you look at some of the prices $4-6k, it could be the daily driver - except when it snows :hb .

-Guy

thanks!

wow....I'm surprised at how fast I got replies. I think I'll like it here.
Thanks to you all for the fine welcome!
Mooose

Welcome To The Corvette Action Center Moose!

I love the Sharks, but... ;)

C-3 VS. C-4

I too struggled with this C-3 vs. C4. I found the C-4 to be roomier (I'm 6'5") and the ride is better, especially a soft ride car. Also it was a matter of the cleanest car for the money, and the '88-'93 cars can be a great value. the maintenence issues are lessened by the fact that i bought a base car (no options) less electronic (electrical) problem potential. I bought the car to DRIVE 6-7 mos. a year so this made good sense to me.

Owning both the C3 and C4, I would have to lean to the C4. My 85 has got to be the best running car I've ever owned. Though no car has the looks of the C3, for an everyday driver and great performance you can't beat the prices on the early C4. I actually like the cockpit on the early C4 versus the later models but that's a matter of opinion. I have had no problems with digital dash or for that matter any part on this car. The C3 requires TLC and lacks some of the refinements of the C4. In your price range you can definitely find a quality 85 or 86.
In any case good hunting and be patient.:D

C4 hunting

hello C4ever
Thanks for the reply. I actually looked at an 87 over the weekend. Got a question for you or anybody that cares to reply....
The car had 102k but ran beautifully. Interior was in "good" condition with the exception of a missing headlight knob. Evidently, the targa had come off while driving at some point and the passenger side rear corner of the targa top had a small amount of damage on the corner. The car is repainted, but the original dark red. The top must have come down on the right rear top side of the car as there was a visible fiberglass repair to a gouge. Tires are about 25% "used". Drives straight and runs good but 102k and visible repair .... does this equal $8,975? I offered no more than $7,000.....did I insult the guy?
Mooose (aka Scott)

Scott,
I agree with Keith. Replacing the targa is no small investment not to mention body and paint work. Be sure to check out thoroughly if you are serious. I don't see how the top could let go driving :confused Is that what they told you?:eek High mileage doesn't bother me as long as she has been maintained with quality products. You can run a car fax to check history. I did that with the 82 and it helped alot.
Best of luck.

Re: C4 hunting

Mooose said:
Evidently, the targa had come off while driving at some point...

I think I read about this car in a column of a Corvette magazine a few years ago. That must have been an embarassing situation. :L

_ken :w

Reminds me of the time in H.S. watching a tire go past me in my Malibu(327/365) and laughing until I realized it was MY DRIVERS REAR:eek :r
The good old days.:beer

c4ever said:
Reminds me of the time in H.S. watching a tire go past me in my Malibu(327/365) and laughing until I realized it was MY DRIVERS REAR:eek :r
The good old days.:beer

:eek :L :L :L Sounds like the making of a new topic - "High School car days." What happend to and what we did to our cars in H.S..

-Guy

Guy,
Something tells me you'd need a whole new web site just for that.:L

c4ever said:
Guy,
Something tells me you'd need a whole new web site just for that.:L

Oh, You know me:Silly. It was Melbourne High, FLA '69.

-Guy

82-Guy said:
Oh, You know me:Silly. It was Melbourne High, FLA '69.
-Guy

:L I was going to ask why were you still in High School in '69, but then I figured the clue "Oh, You know me :Silly" was the answer. :L

OH, Wise guys, eh? Nuck, Nuck!

-Guy

Man, and I TOLD myself that I wasn't going to participate on these things anymore... :L

:J Guy, now after seeing you spell "Nyuk, nyuk" incorrectly, I don't see why you weren't still in high school in 1970! :L

Ken said:
Man, and I TOLD myself that I wasn't going to participate on these things anymore... :L

Guy, now after seeing you spell "Nyuk, nyuk" incorrectly, I don't see why you weren't still in high school in 1970! :L

_ken

:L:L :booty
Must be my day in the barrel:r . That's one thing no one could ever teach me and was my downfall in college.

-Gui :gap

82-Guy said:
:L:L :booty
Must be my day in the barrel. :r

:L Don't take it too hard Gui, sometimes I feel like I reside in the "barrel". :crazy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom