Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 C4.. one owner... low miles

B

Bob Yates

I was in an auto parts store a couple of days ago when this guy standing with me waiting to be waited on ask me if I would be interested in a old vette....I'm thinking something in the 50's when he said 1984... Mine is an 86 and I don't think of her as old...Here's the rest of the story. It has 23,000 clicks on the clock. He purchased it here in Louisville new... now comes the hook.... It needs paint he said. It is white with a maroon inter. He said other than the paint, everything else is in working order... That could mean that it rolls good down a hill if you push it...or it could be the real Mccoy. He is asking $8,000.At this time I don't know if that is firm.... If anyone is interested I would be glad to look a little deeper or if you think this is your pot of gold at the end of your rainbow I would ask how he would want you to contact him for more info. I will check this sight tomorrow to see if anyone's interested....Bob(go between) Yates

In dog years a 21 year old car that has just been sitting is 147 years old. ;) 8000 is to expencive IMHO. Gaskets, leather and rubber most likely all need replacing.

Rome wasn't built in a day and like all good trips each began with one step.Someone could ask if all of that is any good or go an check it out. Just thinking that it's bad could cost having a nice vette. But one never knows until one ventures out. But needing paint you are probly right . Who knows unless you take that first step. Have a good day....B.Y. Out

Hi I just lost a perfect 73 and would really like an 86 I think they are very nice looking but an 84 still would be better than no vette at all .I would like to get this car you have turned up narrowed down to a firm and realistic figure. If you wouldn't mind taking a look for me and it might be interesting to see you just never know. Yhis car should be in the 4 to 5K bracket I think
Dr-Pepper

beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If a white vehicle needs a paint job then either the car was sitting in the sun 24/7 or it had a bad paint job.

Save yourself a lot of greif and look elsewhere.

Alan

p.s. I would pass on it even if it was free because it will cost you a ton of $$
and a lot of time for a vette that is worth only $4/5000 at best when your finished.

1984 record sales!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind that 1984 was probably the #1 year for vettes produced. You will also get the most bang for the buck also but problems galore at this point in time.

Now l'm not talking about the ones that were well taken care of but the ones that were neglected. It will never be a collector year unless it was never driven and kept by a person who knows what they are doing.

Alan

kingman said:
Keep in mind that 1984 was probably the #1 year for vettes produced. You will also get the most bang for the buck also but problems galore at this point in time.

Now l'm not talking about the ones that were well taken care of but the ones that were neglected. It will never be a collector year unless it was never driven and kept by a person who knows what they are doing.

Alan

I'm pretty sure the highest production year is 1979. they are past the curve right now, meaning they are going up in value. they are probably past the point of what they cost new.

Right now C4's are not collector cars... but they will be. as there are more and more people in the world, the C4 will become desired be more people than there are cars, driving the price up.

In my opinion, a cheap C4 is one of the best buys in the car world today. With the new corvettes pricing going up and up, and old corvette pricing doing the same, the C4 value is going to steady off and then start to increase

I stand corrected!

I forgot about the 79, they produced 53,000= and the 84 only 51,000+.

But both not being stellar vettes with no proformance.

My humble opinion is that the 84 will go nowhere when a oerson can pick up an 86 for a little more and get a whole lot more. The pro's happen to agree with me in "Magazine Corvette".

But l still like any year vette except the 75 thru 82 because of the lack of performance.

This is only my opinion and is worth only two cents if that.

Alan

That price is not that high if it has only 23k. 84's did have the 6 digit odometer so it would show 123000 if it had that on it. The paint on the early C4's was not great to begin with so it doesn't surprise me it needs paint. I would at least look at it. 84's are great Vettes and they can be made to perform even better if ya want. Check these sites out for mods for the 82 and 84 Vettes.

http://home.houston.rr.com/ken73/CFI.htm

http://www.swko.com/~lionsden/crossfire.htm

:beer

Let's get real!!!!!!!!

My 96 Lt1 is better then any other C4 made with the stock V8 as far as build. It was the final year of the C4 run and it has all of the refinements period.

But it's not ever going to be a must have vette where somebody is going to part with serious money unless l wait and keep it to the year 2025 and keep it as a garage queen.

The reason is that it's not unique and in today's world it's only a so so performance car compared with what is offered today. Forget tomorrow.

The C1's and the C2's will continue to climb along with some of the C3's and the special editions like the ZR-1's G.S.'s and the Z-06's. The rest of them will appreciate but at a much slower rate if any. I also like the Lt-4's.

All of the collector editions are real neat but will only bring a little more unless it's a vert. The vert's will always bring money, not serious money.

But don't hang your head low because we still love our vettes and that's enough for us. It's not what it's worth as long as it still bring's a smile when you get behind the wheel and hit the gas.

Enough said!!!!!!!!!

Alan

p.s. I'm not bashing the vette, just hate to see so many owner's that have mental masturbation over how much they think that they will get when they sell it.
Also if it's not stock it's worthless to the collector unless it was modified by a serious well known tuner. The greenwood packages are worthless to a collector but l think that they are neat looking anyway.

longspur said:
As a past owner of an 1984 vette I would stay far far away at any price. Fairly nice to look at but problems galore. My list of factory flaws would be 5 pages long. I think I had everyone of them happen to the car. I got to the point that I would laugh everytime something else would fail. Sorry for the poor report but want to save some young kid a lot of grief.

You know I'm getting tired of so called vette people running down the 84' vette, It's no better or worse than any other year, each year and generation was built on the previous years, there are alot of us who can't afford 53K for a new vette, you are going to spend money on a 20+ year old car, how are the C5's and C6"s going to fair in 20 years? Everything is relative..get over it !!!!

I gotta agree with Jr. I am tired of reading negativity about the 84. No matter what car or what year there will always be a lemon or 2. I seem to remember a guy on here who had a C5 that was a total junk. It happens. The 82 and 84 got a bad rap because of the Cross Fire Injection and it was unjust as Chevy is the one who could have prevented it if they had taken just a little more time to set the TB's at the factory instead of trying a same setting for all approach. if you buy an 84 you are still getting a fine Vette even if ypu have to give it some TLC at first.

Found this in the C5 section:
"I had been having problems with a water leak through the convertible top and GM was going to lemon it out. They would not give me a trade out option only a buy back. I love the car and hardly ever take it out in bad weather, when I do its a very minor leak.

2003 and they were gonna declare it a lemon.

!984 Bashing??

Hi

I hope that nobody is getting the impression that we are dumping on the 84 vette! The 84 vette today should be reserved for people that know and understand vettes.

What l was trying to bring out is that any year vette is a blast to own as long as you understand it's limitations and costs. Somebody new to vettes with a limited amount of money should be advised what to look for and what to avoid.

Each individual vette has it's own signature and likewise some are good while other's are bottomless pits.

Alan

kingman said:
My 96 Lt1 is better then any other C4 made with the stock V8 as far as build. It was the final year of the C4 run and it has all of the refinements period.

But it's not ever going to be a must have vette where somebody is going to part with serious money unless l wait and keep it to the year 2025 and keep it as a garage queen.

The reason is that it's not unique and in today's world it's only a so so performance car compared with what is offered today. Forget tomorrow.

The C1's and the C2's will continue to climb along with some of the C3's and the special editions like the ZR-1's G.S.'s and the Z-06's. The rest of them will appreciate but at a much slower rate if any. I also like the Lt-4's.

All of the collector editions are real neat but will only bring a little more unless it's a vert. The vert's will always bring money, not serious money.

But don't hang your head low because we still love our vettes and that's enough for us. It's not what it's worth as long as it still bring's a smile when you get behind the wheel and hit the gas.

Enough said!!!!!!!!!

Alan

p.s. I'm not bashing the vette, just hate to see so many owner's that have mental masturbation over how much they think that they will get when they sell it.
Also if it's not stock it's worthless to the collector unless it was modified by a serious well known tuner. The greenwood packages are worthless to a collector but l think that they are neat looking anyway.

I am really not sure where you are getting all that from. ZR1's, Grand Sports, and Z06's are not appreciating. When they start to appreciate, they will bring the rest of the C4 market up (the Z06 will make the C5 market go up). Just like a 1967 427 convertible brings the value up of a '67 327 coupe. They are not that much different, and if you can't afford 100,000+ for the '67 roadster, 30k for a basic coupe doesn't sound bad at all.

Also, thinking that 'stock' is what is needed to have good value is off too. factory original corvettes (as well as other classics) are losing ground in value every day to 'resto-rods'. People realize more and more that it is tough to keep up with traffic with 30+ year old technology. If you wouldn't put bias ply tires on a new car, why would you put them on your classic car that is worth more than a new car??

The corvette price curve has been very U shaped for many years. in the last few years it is more backwards J shaped, in that the old cars are worth more than the new ones, but the trend will continue. after some time on the bottom of the curve, the prices will go back up. There will be a point in time where a 1984 corvette is worth more than a 2004 corvette because it will be more desireable. There was a point in time when no one wanted the '68-'73 vettes because they have chrome bumpers... now they are a hot item. The same will probably prove true about the '84 but for it's boxy but smooth lines, and its digital dash.

Even after all that, a 1984 corvette is not a bad performer. it handles better than any corvette older than it, and is faster than most of them too. it will run 100+ and not hesitate for a second. Even though the technology is so old, it still has better performance parts than most 'regular' cars do today.

Last but not least, late model Corvette values are mileage based for the time being. There is no other single factor that helps or hurts C4,5, and 6 values more than miles.

Kingman...I don't think it was your post in particular that brought about the '84 bashing comments. For some reason there has just been a fair amount of crossfire bashing going on in other threads...and it's getting frustrating for those of us that have put a lot of blood sweat and tears (and money!) into the crossfire and turned it into a capable and reliable performer.

Bill

update

The 84 posted in here has sold. I got to see it first hand and that paint it was needing was just road chips. Although it did have a low gloss the person who bought it has buffed and got a nice shine on her. The inside had one small tear in the seat cushion. The tires had nice tread. Everything else seemed in fine shape. I never asked what he paid for it. I think that should be between him and the seller. I've not been an 84 fan but this one did look OK and it could have parked in my garage any day. I see where some people think the 84 was a bad year for vettes. I worked as a GM Tech when the 68 vette came out and I think those were the worst vettes built. We could not stop the water leaks. All the guys back then called them fish bowls on wheels. W/strips were terrible. Body panel fits were bad. The big blocks were belt throwers...But look at them now....their bring big bucks....There's a lesson here....Bob Yates

You know ... listening to all this about the 84 would have been a problem for me 4-5 months ago..I picked up an 84 original with the x-fire still intact this car has not given me any problems and frankly I think the 84 will someday be of interest to many...it was car of the year in 84 and although the x-fire system seems to cause many to shutter..it is in fact a one year production for better or worse ..and this in itself will prove to take the 84 (which was the FIRST c4 production vette) into a better light...is it hard to get some parts yeah is it the stepchild in many magazines and unmentioned in many others YES..but I kind of like the fact that my vette IS unique not only to me ..but to the corvette masses out there..in the last 4-5 months in my geographic area alone I have NOT seen one 84 with an original x-fire system...that kinda makes me feel special when I am cruising down the road.......the 84 vette and those of us that drive them know this and from the looks and responses I get apparently so do the general public....C4 FOR2

I too have an 84 Crossfire...and I haven't had any trouble with except for what one would expect from a 20 + year old car with 165K miles on it. And you know what? I don't really give a damn what anyone else thinks about it...its MINE...Its Paid for...and "I" enjoy it.

ROCK ON MY CROSS FIRE BROTHERS!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom