Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 Valve Cover Leak

1stiff84

Dear All,

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with persistent oil leaks at the driver's side valve cover. I have tried everything, short of just using silicone, which is what GM recommends, but I would like to avoid.
A dry block has become something I dream about. I have heard about the notorious Gen I valve cover leaks. Is this just something I have to deal with?

Thanks,

1stiff84

Felpro makes a top of the line gasket that is rubber over steel and is reusable that works great...a bit pricey but it does not leak and can be reused so I found it worth it.

I agree with Eagle. I purchased the rubber with steel core at Summit. A great product.

Thank You

Eagle85C4 and C4ever,

Thanks for your help and reply. Do either of you have a catalog number for these gaskets by any chance? I tried their Permadry Plus VC gaskets with very poor success.

Thanks and Happy Motoring,

1stiff84

I would just give them (Summit) a call. I found their service people to be quite knowledgable.

Carlo

Upon my arrival at home this evening I will endeavor to retrieve the necessary information from the gasket box...

Thanks Again

Carlo and Eagle85,

Thanks again. If I may ask another question, did you try other gaskets before this one and have poor sealing results? I have tried other rubber gaskets w/steel reinforcement (a PAW performance part) with no success.

Thanks Again,

1stiff84

Iuse silicone,the "miracle" cure all,even on the pool fittings!

I've been using the Ultra Seal cork gaskets, but am very unhappy with them. I will definelty try the Felpro rubber & steel next time!

For most of the L-98's this is the number for the felpro steel rubber wrapped reusable valve cover gaskets

VS12869 T

Thanks, Eagle85C4

Eagle85C4,

Thanks for the part number, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, that part number, unless the product has changed since you installed yours, is the same as the PermaDry Plus number which did not give me good results. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Much Appreciated,

1stiff84

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom