Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 vet AC "evaporator"

muskiemike

Corvette
1984 Gunmetal Met
Hello Folks,

Have searched this forum and others, and all I read is, it's not fun . . .

I have a "very" small leak in my R12 freon, (1984) AC system - which has been identified from a freon leak detector coming from the AC evaporator.

So, I am looking for some suggestions, instructions or illustrations as to how to replace the 'evaporator'.

The car is stock, with 34K miles.

I am thinking, do I try some kind of freon sealant, or if I replace the 'evaporator', should I stay with R12 or move to R134?

All comments are welcomed . . .

:chuckle:chuckle

I've located some R12 'compatible gas' which is MFG & sold in Canada, it's flamable, but apparently it's twice as effeicent as R12 - meaning you only use 1/2 the amount of the gas, and it's 100% compatible with R12.

and it's cheap.

I was thinking, don't replace the evaporator and perhaps I should just add a can of this 100% compatible gas each year . . .

Your thoughts?

Hello Folks,

Have searched this forum and others, and all I read is, it's not fun . . .

I have a "very" small leak in my R12 freon, (1984) AC system - which has been identified from a freon leak detector coming from the AC evaporator.

So, I am looking for some suggestions, instructions or illustrations as to how to replace the 'evaporator'.

The car is stock, with 34K miles.

I am thinking, do I try some kind of freon sealant, or if I replace the 'evaporator', should I stay with R12 or move to R134?

All comments are welcomed . . .

:chuckle:chuckle

Has the leak been properly diagnosed with dye in the Freon and a proper Freon detector?

If so, do not use any sealant in your system. Change to R134A. Make sure that the small leak is not the front seal on your compressor.

I highly recommend against charging any a/c system with cans as you are never sure how much oil and Freon are in the system, and it is critical for proper performance and durability of the a/c system that the absolute correct amount of each be installed. Good luck with it. :)

LLC5,

We checked the AC system, it held the pressure without being A C/ engine turned on.

We used a freon detector, (a wand type of instrument) a sniffer, we checked ALL of the R12 connectors, connections, and NO freon detected.

Then we turned the temp control inside the car to Max, turned on the fan to high, without the engine running, and then checked the air coming out of the air vents inside the car, and we detected freon - then we went back under the hood, and removed the round plastic cover which is on top of the blower fan, and we detected r12 freon inside that box, where the AC evaporator is located.

LLC5,

We checked the AC system, it held the pressure without being A C/ engine turned on.

We used a freon detector, (a wand type of instrument) a sniffer, we checked ALL of the R12 connectors, connections, and NO freon detected.

Then we turned the temp control inside the car to Max, turned on the fan to high, without the engine running, and then checked the air coming out of the air vents inside the car, and we detected freon - then we went back under the hood, and removed the round plastic cover which is on top of the blower fan, and we detected r12 freon inside that box, where the AC evaporator is located.

Ok, just be careful using the Freon detector because I have had them give me a false reading with the blower motor on high speed, I always check for Freon leaks through the vents with the blower speed on the lowest setting. They way to properly check a evaporator leak is with dye in the system for about a week, then check the outside drain tube with a black light and the Freon detector with the fan speed on low. You may still want to do a visual on your a/c compressor and see if there is any oily/dirt build up behind the drive belt pulley as this can indicate a front seal leak. Good luck with it. :)

I would recommend NOT to use the compatible replacement. No shop will touch your system once you have that in it. It will contaminate their equipment.

Folks,

In checking Rock Auto, they do not have an 'evaporator' for a 1984, only a evaporator 'repair kit'.

They do have the evaporator for a 1985 - 1989, I called Rock Auto, they were unable to tell me if the evaporator for a 1985 - 1989 would work on my 1984.

So my question is will an evaporator for a 1985 - 1989, work on my 1984?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom