Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 vette won't start when it is hot

G

goirish@dmcibb.net

I have a 84 vette that when it gets hot and I try to start it--nothing--just like there is no battery in it. No clicking of the solonoid or anything. Let it cool down and it starts every time. When the temp got to 144 today it would start. Is there something in the starter that shuts off when it get hot--say from the exhaust. Frustrating. When I drive it I hope I don't stall it at a intersection. any help would be appreciated.. I am new to this forum.

Are you pulling any codes?

Check the wires and connectors for any loose, melted or soft wiring to the starter.

Dose the 84 have a VATS.. if it does, might check that out (use FSM for test procedures)

Could be the starter solenoid, my Van is like that, after driving a long time and it is hot, it will not turn over.. If I go and jump the starter solenoid, it will start. Might be a little hard for you to do that... I have room to craw under my van.

I had the exact same thing happen with my 88. After bypassing the VATS and replacing the starter interrupt relay with no success, I finally replaced the starter and have not had the problem since.

Ron
"Baldie88"

It sounds like either a weak battery or a bad starter.

When my 96 did that it was the starter. On my 86 the intermittent no-start condition was chased down to the ignition module.

Jake

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom