Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 w/CF won't start

Do you have a stick or auto? the pintles are different.

Here's a guide to testing your IAC's:

http://www.crossfire.homeip.net:81/tech/iac.pdf

Also, where did you get the CFI unit? Are the injectors the correct ones?

- You can identify the injectors you have from the numbers stamped on them
There is a partnumber and a date stamped on the top of the injector.
Partnumber format: GM523xxxx*RPD, where RPD = Rochester Products Devision, xxxx is dependant of injector size and application (see table)
- Date format: xyyz, where x = month, yy = day, z = year (1=January, 2=Ferbruary, 3=March, 4=April, 5=Mai, 6=June, 7=July, 8=August, 9=September, O=October, N=Novermber, D=December) .
For example: 8202 = August 20th, 1982

injnrs.jpg

L83 injectors (350 Cross-Fire)
GM5233770*RPD (rear)
GM5233775*RPD (front

LU5 injectors (305 Cross-Fire)
GM5234255*RPD (front)
GM5233765*RPD (rear)

App | Part # NEW | Part # REMAN'D

350 CFI *rear* | 57204 | 27629
350 CFI *front* | 57205 | 27636
350 2bbl Truck | 57202 | 27620
454 2bbl Truck (89) | 57021 | 27625
454 2bbl Truck (92) | 57229 | (none)
305 2bbl F-body (88) | 57020 | 27623
305 CFI *rear* | 57220 | 27626
305 CFI *front* | 57203 | 27632

When you're looking for 454 injectors:
92 454 Chevy Pickup
17084304RPD
9211GM

Injector sizes: (in ml/cycle)

350 CFI Rear: 114
350 CFI Front: 111
350 2bbl truck: 103
454 2bbl early: 124
454 2bbl late: 129
305 F-body: 91
305 CFI Rear: 101
305 CFI Front: 100

Good info

I book marked this one!

Thanks

Vig!

Re: IAC shutoff

vigman said:
And Shadow... SHUT UPPPPPPPPP!

Your TOTAL LACK of communicating anything of use in the ENGLISH language is a DISTRACTION.

X fire is an ok platform.

It's better than a carb ( in this application )

NOT EVERYONE WANTS 350 HP @ THE REAR WHEELS!

Better to be thought of as a fool then to remove all doubt by opening your MOUTH!

:beer :beer :beer :beer :beer

love the xfire

Shadow I love my Xfire ijection system. So I will discount your input as a person with lack of experience. KMCWAN my heart goes out to you it would be killing me not to be driving my vette

Close but no cigar

My 84 is an automatic.

IACs were purchased from NAPA. Looks identical to the ones I replaced.

These are the injectors I have:
L83 injectors (350 Cross-Fire)
GM5233770*RPD (rear)
GM5233775*RPD (front

The intake was purchased from someone on the CF Injection Vault and the TB and other parts were bought from ebay.

Cleaned everything very carefully before assembly and didn't use any cleaner that wasn't TBI friendly.

Still missing a EGR solenoid. EGR capped of right now.

(BillD/Vigman)
Got to drive it to the gas station tonight. As long as I don't get in the throttle too much, it runs pretty smooth. Bogs if I give it too much throttle.

Only got it up to 50 on this last trip and wasn't for very long. I'm still babying this thing until I'm confident it won't leave me on the side of the road.

Still very hard to start. Seemed like it had to turn over about twenty times to start, and then had to feather the throttle to keep it running for the first few minutes. After warming up, it starts up right away.

Havent measured the fuel pressure yet, but will do that tomorrow.
Would low fuel pressure make it hard to start?

I have a new 85 fuel pump but haven't installed it yet. Fuel pump assembly was also purchase on ebay, so I don't know for sure what year vette it came out of. Had a different connector than What the original had.

Thanks for the help,

Ken

umm, wtf its fact

u know there is a reason for some stuff

there is a reason they stop making LT1's

and a reason they stop putting cross fire in vettes

i dont' remember what the thing was on LT1's
ever notice how 85 vetts stock 230 horse's have a faster 1/4 mile then the 300 horse Lt1's

im to lazy to go look at the thing on this site

i think they have a faster 1/4 mile on it

but there is a reason.. something witht he design of the engine was doing something

Oh how foolish of us, Shadow! You have the god of all engines.. :BOW

To the best of my knowledge they stopped making the L98 too.

Kmcewan, your bogging sounds like the throttle plates are open way too far, adjust them it'll (at least partially) solve that problem.

If you have them adjusted too far open the fuel isn't sucked past a tiny slit and isn't dispersed properly. It'll "rain" down the manifold where it puddles on the plenum floor and gives really lousy throttle.

The 85 pump will help keep the needed pressure (9-13psi) up. The stock 84 pumps (and 82 too) barely deliver that pressure and when you're at wot the pressure can drop lower, lower prssure -> mnot enough fuel an the spray pattern won't be good. The droplets too large.

Did you ever check the CTS connection?

Marck

hehe

yeah i just checked, out some stuff, i guess i was wrong

i guess the lt 1 did the 1/4 way faster,, hmm my infro was wrong

but anyways tune port is just nice
its good for high speed racing
i guess u don't need it if u arn't planing on making your car fast

SHADOW!!!!!

GO AWAY!

Your post's are like nail's being scratched on a chalkboard!

SSCCCRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

STOP POSTING!

VIG!

nah vig u are just taking things the wrong way

im all calm when i post

u guy's are just throwing it all out of porportion or how ever u spell that word

i mean nothing big by what i comment about,, jeeze,, chill out

I tried to be nice, that just didn't work

Hey fool--
Haven't you gotten it through that thick skull of yours that almost NOONE here wants to hear your stupid opinions? Got a fact (other than most genius' misspell every other word), then post what you KNOW is true, not "I think ummm,,,,sumptin like that".
Look, I'm sure you mean well but you are coming off like a know-it-all kid who doesn't know the difference between a carb and a garbage can. A smart man once said, "A still tongue makes a wise head". Do us all a favor and have a few unexpressed thoughts every once in a while.

Re: hehe

Shadowing1985v said:
but anyways tune port is just nice
its good for high speed racing
i guess u don't need it if u arn't planing on making your car fast

Please don't tell me you think the 185 TPI is a fast car?
TPI is designed for a 305, as was the CFI. IT too faills flat on it's face avbove 4500 rpm so it's NOT good for high rpm racing. All your info is wrong, instead of makin stupid comments here first make sure you have your info straight.

I don't need TPI to make my car fast (and yes this one is for high rpm, it flows over 2800cfm in total)

filters5.jpg

Marck

Took it for a 20mi ride

The ran fairly well for the twenty mile ride, but still needs some work.

I car idles now but while in drive at partial throttle, the rpms are all over the place. I think I might have an electrical short. Noticed that the dash lights are blinking as well.

IACs are still not seating.

Vigman,

Unfortunately the IACs are not GM and are the adjustable kind. They still didn't seat after the twenty mile ride. I guess it may be the electronics. If it is, I've just had a $150 lesson in Electronic Fuel injection.

Is there a way to actuate the IACs to determine if they are working?

Felt good to drive it, if only for 20 miles.

Ken

Yes, short the ALDL test to ground pinout. The IAC's should cycle in & out. unfortunately I just gave all my IAC's to someone on the crossfire forum, or I'd have shipped some to you.
For the flickering, check the ground straps on the engine, frame & manifold.

Do you have a scanner? If not, are you a bit handy w/ electronics?

I have a "free" scanner if you need it.

Email me if interested ( twinturbo@home.nl)

Marck

Short ALDL?

Ok, I'll try that. Ignition on??

Thanks for the offer of IACs anyway. I think part of my problem is electrical now.

Yes I do have a brand new OBD I scanner, but thanks for the offer. Haven't used it yet but sounds like the perfect time to try it out.

The internet sure has made the world smaller. Imagine trying to exchange info like this in 1984?

Regards,

Ken

Yes, ignition On :)

The exchange of knowledge..that's just the point. That's why a lot of them are hosed... people working on them that don't know diddly about them.

CTS?

In previous posts you mentioned the CTS?

What is it? Haven't found a reference for it my books.

Ken

Coolant Temp Sender.

It's the one in the front of the manifold. If you have the old one w/ round connector replace it & connetor for the later model weatherpack CTS. It's got a yellow & black lead. Measure resistance on the sender, then plug connector in and measure at the firewall (one connector has a yellow and 2 black wires on it. The yellow sits next to one black wire but that's the wrong black wire, you need the other black wire at the other end of the connector) measure resistance there too. If they differ yoiu have a bad connection. The old connectors are notorious for shorting & poor conection because of water & corrosion.

This is the sender you want.

cts.jpg

Marck

I MIGHT have 2 used ones

I'll check in the next couple of days
( Swamped @ Work )

E mail me I'll need your shipping address.

Vig!

Did you adjust the pintles before installing em

I believe the spec is 1 & 1/8 inch from tip to end of threaded base.

Where is the car idling?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom