Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 window motor and ribbon replacement

jerseydevil

Corvette
1984 Crossfire, White
Hello! I looking for a link to a page or sight where i might find instructions in replaceing these window motors. I'm afraid I might be heading down a long path with this one so any help is greatly appreciated

thanks brian

Brian,

It sucks a little. Off comes the door panel, the sheet metal door liner, the bose speaker box (if you have one) and you have to pull out the glass. You have to pull out the regulator because the motor is riveted onto the regulator. Your new motor will bolt on instead of rivet on. You'll need to know the right number of teeth on the motor gear too, because there are two versions... I guessed correctly when I bought mine. If your parts store is cool, they'll give you both and let you bring one back without a restocking fee. While you have the motor out, it's the time to replace the ribbon. They are around $25. Despite having 150,000 miles on it, mine looked perfect, so I left it alone. I have a new one in the garage though... If I had it to do over again, I would have replaced it because years later, I'm still packing this thing around! Ha! What I can't remember is where I positioned the window to do the work... not a huge deal since the switch is console mounted; just pop the battery cable back on long enough to move the window. I scribed the alignment marks for everything to get things back into the correct place quicker. Careful with the glass! There's also the window stop (two sheet metal "hooks" bolted on; you'll see them when you work the window assembly. I think the only real pain was handling the glass and popping the door lock rod into place; it sounds awful when you snap it in the holder. POW!

On a side note, be careful about lining up your window when you reinstall everything. My window was rattling, so I pushed it out further using the window felts on the metal tabs. Well, my window doesn't rattle anymore, but now water leaks in because I've pushed it away from the weatherstrip! Ha! That's what weekends are for, right?

While you are in there with the glass out, consider replacing your outside window weatherstrip that goes on the top of the door. It's the one that "shaves" water off of the window when you lower it. More rivets! Careful, you'll go right through the door! Put a length of fuel line or vacuum line on the drill bit to keep it from going all the way through your door!

Have fun!

Tray I have a 84 and put in an upgraded window regulator, of course I had someone else do it. I have a used one in very good condition, if you are interested. It is still in the shipping box unopened. PM me

Forgot, it is for the drivers side.

Hugh :w

I took the regulators out of my '84 and replaced the drive belts without removing the glass. Are you sure you have a bad motor, or could it just need a good clean-up and re-lube with some white Lithium grease? My windows were very slow, and a clean and lube job made a big difference. They're not fast, but they are much better.

I took the regulators out of my '84 and replaced the drive belts without removing the glass. Are you sure you have a bad motor, or could it just need a good clean-up and re-lube with some white Lithium grease? My windows were very slow, and a clean and lube job made a big difference. They're not fast, but they are much better.

Hot Rod,

I checked all that out when we had the dorr panel off to replace the weatherstripping. I decided to upgrade.

Thanks,

Hugh:beer

i bought new motors and ribbions, new felts and wipes for the windows; i just need to get new windows and i'll replce it all and maybe upgrade to newer regulators

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom