Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84's - Dual fans???

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Someone posted on my "cooling problems" thread that they suspect the 84 is supposed to have dual fans. Mine doesn't - is it supposed to? It doesn't appear as if it has been "removed". I only have the electric fan in the conventional place.

My 81 has a clutched fan there and then an electric fan on the outside of the radiator.

My 84 CF only came with one fan. I do believe their is a kit available to install duel fans. However running a Hyperwreck thermomaster prom chip, 160 stat, and a fan switch change to turn the fan on at 200 degrees and off at 190 degrees. I haven't had any overheating problems. The drawback is winter driving it never gets over 165 degrees. Hope this helps. 84 CF 91 ZR-1

Yea, I wouldn't have a problem if I wasn't trying to use the A/C. The more I think about it the more I think there is actually something wrong with the compressor clutch and/or bearings putting too much load on the motor. Still trying to figure out how to assess if this is so before I do anything drastic. Thanks!!

That was probably me; you "should" have dual fans, only because that's what the car needs.
I think the dual fans might have been an option in '84 (option B4P?), standard later on.

Not having enough airflow over the A/C condensor causes high compressor head pressures, and probably more load on the engine than if pressures were lower. If it's not squealing or smoking, the A/C is not bad - yet.

Get the "aux. fan kit" 609-110 from Mid-America Designs, along with the " '84 adapter kit" 609-112. Or equivalent kit from somebody else.
I also highly recommend a manual switch, but make sure you are using the switch to energize the fan relay, and are not switching fan power. Using the switch directly on fan current runs too much current through the switch, which then will have a usable life measured in minutes...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom