Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'85 Brake light flickering

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
My 85 has Brake light has started Flickering on and off, from barely coming on to coming on normal brightness. Parking brake is off, fluid is full. Any other ideas
Thanx
Gordon

Does this occur during brake applications or does it flash/blink all the time?

nope just when I am driving down the road will eventually go off for good with no flickering

Brake light flickering

Chances are that you have a bad/loose connection. Remove your license plate to gain access to your brake light connectors. Best of luck, Rufus:):)

Did you try replacing the bulb? Sometimes the element will bounce around and remake the connection for a short time. It's happened to me a few times.

Duh...

Let's try to keep in mind that this brake light "flickers ON' not off. A bad bulb or bad connection at the socket will NOT cause a light to come on, only off... Some thing in the control of the light most likely is the cause ie. stop light switch, adjustment of the switch, etc. :thumb

Sorry for the confusion, its not my "brake lights". Its the one on the center console display. The one that when you put on the Emergency Brake, it lights up. That is where the flickering is. The Emergency Brake is not on while this is happening
Gordon

In an 85 there are only two items that turn the BRAKE light on. Fluid pressure differential (master cyl) and the hand brake. 85 does not have ABS, which is also connected to the BRAKE light in 86-up.

I'd disconnect the plug on the master cyl and drive it long enough for it to have flickered, and if it doesn't, suspect the switch in the master cyl. Perhaps bleeding the brakes to re-center the switch will cure the flicker.

Not sure if its related, but did notice the fluid was rather dark, so had it flushed and refilled and no flickering.
Thanx for all the advice
Gordon

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom