Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 Odometer Problem

OSU-VETTE

Corvette
1985 Z51, Black with Purple Accents
I have had the cluster in for repair, they can get the odometer to work fine on their bench, doesn't work in the car (it will very occassionally work for a couple of miles, then stop for a couple weeks), but the tripometer works fine, everything else good. I was told it is a sending unit on the transmission, but this shop has guessed twice so far, and I am leary. Doesn't make sense that a mechanical odometer works occassionaly, but does not affect the digial dash speedometer functions, and an electronic sending unit will fix. Any thoughts?

What about your speedometer? Is your speed indication correct all the time? Does it advance smoothly as you accelerate or is it errattic? My problem was that the speedometer didn't start working until I was going 35 mph or so, then the speedo and odometer started working. Replaced the speed sensor, $65 or so and fixed the problem.

However, if you are sure your speedo and trip meter work correctly all the time, maybe your odometer motor is defective. I sent my dash in to be checked at Southern Electronics in VA. For $50 they checked everything, but didn't fix anything (nothing was broken).

Speedo itself tests perfect, very smooth, and the electronic tripmeter (sp?) works fine always. The dash company in Dayton did detect the odometer was tampered with from the previous owner, but we sent it back to them 3 times and the have certified it works fine on the bench, they put over 50 miles on it with no problems. I am taking it to a corvette expert locally if I cannot find the smoking gun. Thanks for the response.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom