Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 project - update & more problems

Glide

Corvette
1971 Shark, 1985 C4, 2011 C6, 99 FRC. 66 Coupe
I know, I'm my own worst enemy. For every two things I fix, I probably break another.

I got lucky as my anti-freeze spillage was due to a heater hose and not the water pump. So everything is back together and it drives perfect, well almost. The only thing I notice isn't working now (besides the horn) is the fan doesn't come on. I replaced the thermastat with a 180 and bypassed the throttle body. I get home and the idle is about 6K in drive so I decide to do the idle adjustment. You know, the one with the volt meter. Well you know me and electric. I end up with the car idling at 8k in drive. So I disconnect the battery, hoping it will reset to factory preset or something.

Long story short, when restarted "Check engine light" is on. Idles too fast and light stays on. Help!

I’ll recheck all the wires I messed with but how do you reset the CEL after you fix the problem without a scanner?

Thanks in advance.
Glide

The problem (bad ECM controlled fan switch/sensor) has been fixed, although I still have a slight miss or inconsistant idle). Another member sent me a Diacom (Dos based program) that can run on a laptop and the test cable to hook up to the Diag. connector. Besides seeing what temp. reading is coming from the sensor to the Computer, do you know what else can I do with this program?

Are you sure you bypassed the right hose's???? Maybe you have a GIANT VACUUM leak now!!!!!:upthumbs

I have suspected a vacuum leak although not from bypassing the TB. I hear a whistling from the motor. Can't decide if it's a vacuum leak or the bearing in AIR pump (disconnected). Not showing any codes. Also I was told my injectors could have a low voltage problem causing predetonation (ping) at WOT.

Does antbody know how to install a horn button on an 85?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom