Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 running rough

.50ae

Alright guys need some ideas. Bought an 85 a month ago and all was good until a week ago. About a week ago it started taking a try to two for it to start when it was cold. It starts right up just fine and then it dies in about 2 seconds. 2nd or third try it starts and idles high at about 700-750 and then drops really low to about 380-400. At that point if I put it in drive it'll either die or barely stay going. After it gets going at normal operating temp however, all is good. I can start it just fine and it idles at 590-600. Anyone got ideas? The guy said he had the injectors rebuilt, new tps, new maf, new iac.

Just off hand, your idle seems a little low compared to mine.
I was just driving my '85 around a bit this afternoon.
In park, I'm at about 1200 on a cold start, quickly dropping to 950-1000.
In gear it drops to 650-750.
Might want to make sure the idle and tps are set correctly. Mine was all jacked up when I got it. It seemed to run okay, but adjusting it following the correct procedure made it so much better.

Just off hand, your idle seems a little low compared to mine.
I was just driving my '85 around a bit this afternoon.
In park, I'm at about 1200 on a cold start, quickly dropping to 950-1000.
In gear it drops to 650-750.
Might want to make sure the idle and tps are set correctly. Mine was all jacked up when I got it. It seemed to run okay, but adjusting it following the correct procedure made it so much better.

Like cool dad said idle seems a little low, start with the basics clean your throttle plates, get a fuel pressure and a fuel sample in a clean clear jar make sure there is no water. find your distributer timing wire (single red or orange wire by distributor) disconnect it check your base timing. if all the above is good with motor off jump A to B turn on key give it a minute to set IAC motor with A to B still jumped unplug IAC motor, un-jump A to B start car set min. idle to around (idle is raised and lowered by a little set screw in a hole next to TPS)650 RPMs once idle is set, turn off car re-plug IAC turn key on for about 10 seconds to let things settle in and start see if problem is still around. now depending on how much you had to turn the idle screw will determine weather or not you have to reset your TPS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom