Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 vettes fan runs steady?

nelson84

Corvette
84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
The fan was wired to run steady by the previous owner(bubba). Will this damage my catilytic converter? Or anything else.

Where can a guy get a pipe to replace the converter?

It shouldn't hurt a thing other than maybe your gas milage. If you can get someone to send you the wiring diagram you should be able to find how they wired it. Most of the C4s had fan relays with power to the coil. The fan was turned on by grounding the coil on the relay. Someone most likely added a wire to ground near the relay. You need to know which wire.

Glenn
:w

Bubba, ran a wire from the fan to the fuse for the fan and fried it. Then they ran a big red wire to the battery from the fan.

How would it hurt gas milage?

Two things. It could lower your engine temp enough effect it and the alt. will have to charge more putting load on the engine.
If he ran a wire from the battery direct to the fan, how does it shut off?
The power to the relay is controled by the ignition,so when you turn off the key the fan stops regardless weather the relay is grounded direct.

Glenn
:w

It wont hurt anything except make your car run cooler which is never a bad thing. I have my fan set to turn on at about 170. If you have the stock Tstat in it will never get cool enough to hurt anything. And it wont hurt your gas mileage because the fan is electric.

I bypassed the relay and ran a red wire from the fuse box to a switch mounted under the steering colum then to the fan. normally the relay would close at 190 or better, but i get better performance between 174 and 184, this way the fan is on all the time while i'm driving. When i first start her up. (cold) I wait till the ECM cycles closed then throw the switch. this can be Dangerous! I've come close to having it over heat because I had forgotten to turn it on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom