Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 Wheels??

dsimon55

Corvette
HI all

I currently have an 85 vette with the stock factory wheels. I am thinking about changing.
question how big a wheel can I go with?
can I use the 17" wheels for a later c4?
anyone have any old wheels they want to let go of that would work??

thanks

Dave

The offset is different past 88, you will need adapters, the better route would to be to buy new wheels with the correct offset.

I have 88's on mine with the adapters.

AFS sells ZR1 in the correct offset.

Mart

While the 88-96 17x9.5 wheels will fit, you would have to have adapters to get them to sit properly in the wheelwells. Adapters can run a few hundred dollars and you need to use OEM (GM) wheels with them.

Go to www.afswheels.com and follow the links to find ZR-1 style wheels for the early (84-87) C4's. AFS has both 17x9.5 and 17x11 wheels with the correct offsets in a variety of finishes. The proper 17x11 rear wheel will allow a 315/35-ZR-17 tire in the rear and with a 17x9.5 front wheel, you can run either a 275/40 or 285/40-17 front tire.

AFS sells wheels and tire packages on eBay from time to time but make sure you look at the packages with the correct offset.

85 Wheels

Hey Dave,
I've got a 85 that had some 91 ZR-1 wheels...the saw blades I think they call them. There 17 inchers w/o the spacers. As reported earlier you really need the adapters to have them fill out the wheel wells in a normal fashion . On mine the back wheels don't look that bad but the front you can notice that they are sunk in because of the deeper inset. Don't know how much effect this set-up has on the handling...I only drive around town in mine every other weekend or so. The adaptors are over 200 bucks from Ecklers. Might be able to pick some up at a local swap meet or ebay even. Good luck with whatever you elect to do...

Hi Dave

I have a set of 88 rims on my 86. The use of spacers is for more than filling out the wheel wells. Before I put the spacers on I found that a large dip in the road would cause the rear wheels to go up into the wheel well and hit and rub on the inside. The spacer moved the wheel out a notch and prevented the problem from occuring. I only put the spacers on the rear wheels. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the front wheels and wheel wells. Just my little bit of information and I hope that it is of some value.

Bill

i got 1985

hey igot 17 on front and 18 on back with spacer on back cs 2002 looks good and drives smooth

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom