Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

86 high idle

F

fatboyreyn

My 56 coupe idles around 900 or 1000 rpm, even after engine is warm. I know idle is controlled by ECM, but is there anything to do to lower it? No engine codes, but I just found out it does have a hyperchip.

clean the throttle body and IAC pentel. You may have a TPS adjustment problem or a minimum air screw out of adjustment.
A manual will tell you how to set the adjustments or I think you can do a search and find info.
reach up and push the throttle closed and see if it will slow down. If it does I would look at the IAC. It looks like a solinoid. If the end is crudded up air can bypass and speed up the idle. Or it could just be toast. It's a stepper motor the ECM commands in and out.

JS

clean the throttle body and IAC pentel. You may have a TPS adjustment problem or a minimum air screw out of adjustment.
A manual will tell you how to set the adjustments or I think you can do a search and find info.
reach up and push the throttle closed and see if it will slow down. If it does I would look at the IAC. It looks like a solinoid. If the end is crudded up air can bypass and speed up the idle. Or it could just be toast. It's a stepper motor the ECM commands in and out.

JS
I cleaned TB, adjusted TPS by voltage, according to manual. It seems to idle fine at startup, but gets increasingly faster as motor gets hot. I'm thinging coolant temp signal to ECM? what do you think? Also no codes.

I cleaned TB, adjusted TPS by voltage, according to manual. It seems to idle fine at startup, but gets increasingly faster as motor gets hot. I'm thinging coolant temp signal to ECM? what do you think? Also no codes.
Thats very possible!!!! $12-$18 and you will know for sure!!:upthumbs

86 high idle.

HI
I have an 85, but basically they are the same.
This may sound as a vacuum leakage some place. Check all the hoses and black thin brittle plastic tubes also they underneath the plenum. Check also the PCV valve on the valve cover.
When that is done spray some startgas or propane over the areas where the runners enter the intake and also over the plenum. If you experience an rpm increase there is a vcuum leakage in the area. Vacuum leakage always increase the rpm on idle or it can give a hunting idle
Hope this helps
Jan-Erik

HI
I have an 85, but basically they are the same.
This may sound as a vacuum leakage some place. Check all the hoses and black thin brittle plastic tubes also they underneath the plenum. Check also the PCV valve on the valve cover.
When that is done spray some startgas or propane over the areas where the runners enter the intake and also over the plenum. If you experience an rpm increase there is a vcuum leakage in the area. Vacuum leakage always increase the rpm on idle or it can give a hunting idle
Hope this helps
Jan-Erik

I agree a vaccum leak effects idle, but idle is perfect untill engine reaches operating temp. I am going to take off intake and check the vaccum lines.
thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom