Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

86 L98 Camshaft

warp8

I am rebuilding my 86 L98 with cast iron heads. I plan to keep the heads after a little porting, I will keep the stock TPI intake. I run headers with a straight performance exhaust. I need inputs on a cam to give a little better performance without ruining the idle.

the best choice Ive found if you want to keep everything running exactly like stock, but gain a few hp, is the CRANE 114122

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=114122&lvl=2&prt=5

if you want a little more hp, (WHICH ID SUGGEST)

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=114132&lvl=2&prt=5

but youll get a very slight lope to the idle, but it runs fine with minor tuning and you DON,T need the higher rear gear ratio,or fuel pressure regulator, INSPITE of what CRANES INSTRUCTIONS SUGGEST, but it will run better with the higher numerical rear gear ratio change of course

CALL CRANE FOR MORE INFO Tech Line - 386-258-6174

Ordered the Crane 114132 today. Can't wait to drive it!

Ordered the Crane 114132 today. Can't wait to drive it!

Just now getting the engine back in the car. Installed an adjustable fuel press reg. What should I adjust the fuel press to?

What other changes did you make? What about the idle? Could you feel a difference in acceleration? Did you change the chip?

Should have the car running by Wednesday, hurricane permitting.

I live in Palm Beach County and am currently putting up shutters for Earnesto.

Here we go again. 4 hurricanes in three years.

What other changes did you make? What about the idle? Could you feel a difference in acceleration? Did you change the chip?

Crane Gold Series roller rockers 1.5

11:1 compression

Trick Flow alluminum heads

BBK afpr

Double roller timing gears

Melling Hi volume oil pump

Port matched stock intake w/ ported runners

TPiS long tube headers

Fast Chip

No cat, no smog pump, no AC, no street legal

Runs excellent

Got the engine running. Appears to run well. Still breaking in the cam. Will road test next week.

Please let us know. I want to do the same to my 86 auto with 307 gears

Please let us know. I want to do the same to my 86 auto with 307 gears

Will do. Mine is also an auto with 3.07. Just got my custorm chip from pcmforless.com. Starts and idles great.

Makes me feel great because I rebult it.

Hows the idle? rough or smooth.

It's not bad at all. Maybe a hair rougher but acceptable. It sounds great through the headers, straight exhaust, and Flowmaster mufflers. I have to enlist help to get the hood back on before the road test. Converted the AC to R134 today . The freon had leaked out while it sat. Seems to cool OK.

It has been down for two years and I am anxious to drive it.

Well. How does she run :D

Took it out for a brief test drive. Had regular in the tank. It didn't like that. Put premium in it but it was running hot so I went home. I think the hot condition is Florida with a rebuilt engine.

You may need a lower temp. T-stat. I have a 160 deg. in mine.

If the cooling system is having a hard time keeping. up a 160 thermostat will not do any good. It already has a 180 thermostat. I may take the thermostat out completely.

It didn't run hot before I rebuilt it so I think it will come down as I put a few miles on it.

If the cooling system is having a hard time keeping. up a 160 thermostat will not do any good. It already has a 180 thermostat. I may take the thermostat out completely.

It didn't run hot before I rebuilt it so I think it will come down as I put a few miles on it.

Took the thermostat out and temp stabilized at 210. That is at idle with AC on in Florida.

Thought I would close this thread with a report.

I put in a Crane 114132, longtube headers, true duals, some light plenum and cast iron head porting, and a custom prom. Seat of the pants shows a definite performance gain. It will light up the tires from a standing start.

I did learn one interesting thing. When I got the engine back in, I was test driving it with the hood off and was running hot. Even after putting in a Dewitt radiator, it ran hotter than before the overhaul.

But, when I put the hood back on, the temps came down 20 degrees. It appears that the airflow through the radiator is disrupted with the hood off.

Just a note in passing: I had a rig that ran hot.
I removed the thermostat and it ran hotter. A
circle track guy explained to me that when you
remove the thermostat, the fluid cannot stay in
the radiator long enough to get cooled. The
thermostat impedes the fluid flow enough to allow
the radiator to cool it. "Weird Science" for
sure, but in that case, it was true.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom