Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

86 passenger headlight sticking

ghr4news

Corvette
1986 Coupe
I've read through the majority of the postings about headlight problems and haven't found one yet with the same problem I'm facing, thus this thread!
The passenger headlight in my coupe works off and on; meaning it opens every now and then. The light turns on and the mechanism to open the headlight works for about a second but then the headlight wont go to the open position, the light just stays on in the closed position. There is no motor rumbling noise as if to indicate one of the gears is shot. I get the feeling it might be an electrical problem, but before I take the whole thing apart, or order a replacement gear, I was hoping someone here has either an answer or has experienced the same problem and found a solution.
Thanks,

George

I would have to say it very likely is the headlight control module considering all the connections have been verified as good. On my '90 it is located inside of the front left fender well directly ahead of the tire under the hood compartment near the fan relays and vacuum canister. Or follow the headlight motor wires back from the rt. and left headlight motors toward the left front. To confirm there is a problem with the module physically jump the left headlight motor wires on the plug to the right motor wires. I used 2 separate paper clips to jump both individually. One is hot the other is ground. The polarity reverses to change the direction of the headlight motor rotation for open/close.
If memory serves(don't hold me to this as I have a '90 and it's been a while.) I believe the wires are tan/grey and lt. green(check a wiring diagram to be sure.) The motor wires are the same color arrangement on both sides.
Good Luck.

DonB, your attempts to help are appreciated, I'm sure, but your '90 headlights and the electronics are entirely different than ghr4news' '86.

The '84-'87 headlight motors have limit switches inside the motors which should shut off the motors when they reach the end of their travels. These limit switches can get dirty, which causes the motors to shut off prematurely. It's not too difficult to disassemble the motors and clean these switches. A lube of the internal gears and bushings will probably restore reliable operation without any replacement of parts. Use a light weight white grease, like LubriPlate or CRC Sta-Lube on the motor bushings and the gears. It's very important to lube the motor bushings!

Here's a link to a repair procedure for the '84-'87. Pay attention to the part about the "polarity switches". The rest of this information probably doesn't apply to you. He had worn out gears. I think your gears are okay. When I repaired mine, I removed my headlight motors without removing the entire headlight assembly.
'84 - '87 Headlight Gear Replacement - Corvette Forum

:w

Last edited:
Ok. Sorry I don't want to mislead anyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hot Rod Roy. Thanks for the link and the information. I'll tackle be tackling this job over the weekend.

George

DonB, your attempts to help are appreciated, I'm sure, but your '90 headlights and the electronics are entirely different than ghr4news' '86.

The '84-'87 headlight motors have limit switches inside the motors which should shut off the motors when they reach the end if their travels. These limit switches can get dirty, which causes the motors to shut off prematurely. It's not too difficult to disassemble the motors and clean these switches. A lube of the internal gears and bushings will probably restore reliable operation without any replacement of parts. Use a light weight white grease, like LubriPlate or CRC Sta-Lube on the motor bushings and the gears. It's very important to lube the motor bushings!

Here's a link to a repair procedure for the '84-'87. Pay attention to the part about the "polarity switches". The rest of this information probably doesn't apply to you. He had worn out gears. I think your gears are okay. When I repaired mine, I removed my headlight motors without removing the entire headlight assembly.
'84 - '87 Headlight Gear Replacement - Corvette Forum

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom