Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

87 AC compressor possible replacement

R

raidoman

AC compressor making bearing noise and may need to be replaced. Has anyone done this DIY? It is original unit and how about R12 or R134 conversion. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

AC compressor making bearing noise and may need to be replaced. Has anyone done this DIY? It is original unit and how about R12 or R134 conversion. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Is the Noise all the time or just when running??;shrug:upthumbs

noise only when compressor is engaged accompanied by vibration which is also only there when engaged.

noise only when compressor is engaged accompanied by vibration which is also only there when engaged.
I'd say you need a Compressor!!!It's not a Horrible job,but you need to Fully flush the system and replace the Receiver Drier and replace the orifice tube too!! I retrofit allot to 134!! Sometimes I use Johnsens Freeze 12 depending on the car and year of it!!Freeze 12 works Great but you would still need to flush the system and replace the drier and orifice tube!! I use a Ford Blue orifice tube or a Smart tube(variable orifice) when Retro fitting or replacing refrigerant to Freeze 12,the system will cool better at slower speeds or stop and go traffic!!:upthumbs
PS Check the Idler pulley barring,sometimes they will make noise when the A/C is on due to extra Stress on the pulley!!

Thanks for the advice. I will getthe recommended parts from yur reponse. Any hints on how to correctly flush the system? Is there a kit to do this and Freeze 12?
thanks so much.

Thanks for the advice. I will getthe recommended parts from yur reponse. Any hints on how to correctly flush the system? Is there a kit to do this and Freeze 12?
thanks so much.
I have a Flushing gun,I remove all Lines and Condenser and Flush each hose with 3 oz of flush solvent and blow though through them with compressed air for about 5 min and hang to let finish drying out,then flush condenser with 8 oz and do the same except I run compressed air for 15 min and then I do the evaporator (in the car) with 8 oz and blow through 15 min also!!
Run the flush solvent and air in reverse as to the flow of the refrigerant!!
Re-install all Lines,Condenser,Compressor, New Drier and Oriface tube with new O-rings!!
Add the recommended oil amount (Divide this up between the Condenser,Compressor and Drier) as Installing!! Evac and Re-charge system!! (10% less charge with R-134a and Freeze 12!!):upthumbs

An added note. I have had compressors hammer because the high side pressure got to high due to the orfice-screen being plugged. Check pressure befor you dissasemble.If the orfice is plugged you still will want to flush and vac the system.
You want to be sure to follow Junk's advice on the orfice tube.

Glenn
:w

An added note. I have had compressors hammer because the high side pressure got to high due to the orfice-screen being plugged. Check pressure befor you dissasemble.If the orfice is plugged you still will want to flush and vac the system.
You want to be sure to follow Junk's advice on the orfice tube.

Glenn
:w
Another added Note!!! If the screen is plugged,Change the Drier.it has came apart inside!!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom