Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 87 Convert. w/intermintent code"36"

vettenik84

Corvette
1987 CORVETTE CONV.
I have a 87 with 30000. 2 owner car. Car is in very god shape Body and suspension wise-- but I believe due to lack of use I have changed just about everything upfront driven by pullies-including alternator; water pump; air pump; Idler pulley and Ac stopped working last year. I had thermostat changed to160 and I believe computer chip installed in conjunction with that change. The car now starts and runs well now, however shows an intermittent code "36" on OBT1. Also after I drive at long stretches at say 80mph over 2hours -- car has a bad hesitation, almost to a stall if I try to accelerate hard at that speed. GM Maunal indicates a possibility of bad "mass air flow sensor burn-off relay" after a very long test procedure --which I did not do. The part was only $22 so I bought it along some MAS cleaner spray and MAS test tool. MY question is where is the MAS burn-off relay found? (picture If possible ),how hard is it to replace it? and what are the chances that replacing it will solve my problem my problem? Any help would be appreciated. (PS there are really no good C4 Vette technicians in Westchester NY..--The experience I had to date is typically -change parts at $1k a pop until they hit on a solution)

. GM Maunal indicates a possibility of bad "mass air flow sensor burn-off relay" after a very long test procedure --which I did not do. The part was only $22 so I bought it along some MAS cleaner spray and MAS test tool. MY question is where is the MAS burn-off relay found? (picture If possible ),how hard is it to replace it? and what are the chances that replacing it will solve my problem my problem?

For your year Vette they call the two relays used in the MAF circuit the Mass Burn Off Relay and Mass Burn Off Control Relay.

You should replace both at the same time. They are mounted on the firewall area on the driver side of the cruise control servo. Look at the relay socket wiring and verify the insulation of the wires are in good shape.
The relays plug in to a socket and can be replaced in minutes.

87 vette code 36 and 33

Sorry it took so long to reply-- had trouble with login- Here's an update
Thanks for informative diagrams & info--- I changed both Mass Burn off relay and Mass power relay also cleaned junction block and spray cleaned MAF --still got check engine. Also checked the connectors to ECM to confirm in tight. Now also shows code 33 after car warms up and also still has bad hesitation above 1500 rpm under hard acceleration. Since shop manual for code 33 talk about low fuel pressure and my in line fuel filter was supposedly changed last year --- I bought and AC fuel pump and I am about to install it ---- what are the chances this will solve a least one of the problem with bad hesitation above 1500rpm?

For your year Vette they call the two relays used in the MAF circuit the Mass Burn Off Relay and Mass Burn Off Control Relay.

You should replace both at the same time. They are mounted on the firewall area on the driver side of the cruise control servo. Look at the relay socket wiring and verify the insulation of the wires are in good shape.
The relays plug in to a socket and can be replaced in minutes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom