Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 87 Corvette battery draw and no courtesy lights when exiting

GramLon

Corvette
1987 White convertible
Just got my 87 in June. I've been havinig trouble with battery draw down...only takes about 3-4 days to go down. Had battery checked and it is good. Checked all fuses and alternator connections. All lights off, still can't locate draw. Also, the courtesy lights quit working recently that used to come on when exiting the vehicle, then would turn off automatically about 30 sec later. Any ideas...sure could use some help with this! Thanks.

9/6/12,,just located the battery draw, it's linked into the delay timer fuse, which when pulled out, no more draw. Think I need to replace the delay timer which apparently is located behind the right side of the instrument panel, but more detailed instructions on how to get to it would be appreciated. Thanks again!

9/7/12, figured out the delay timer is behind the "bread basket" but need instructions on how to remove the bread basket so I can get at the timer. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Just got my 87 in June. I've been havinig trouble with battery draw down...only takes about 3-4 days to go down. Had battery checked and it is good. Checked all fuses and alternator connections. All lights off, still can't locate draw. Also, the courtesy lights quit working recently that used to come on when exiting the vehicle, then would turn off automatically about 30 sec later. Any ideas...sure could use some help with this! Thanks.

The usual check routine, is to connect a light or voltmeter between the battery terminal and the lead. Then start pulling fuses until the light goes out or the meter reads zero. Thus locating the area of the draw. Also the alternator seems to have been be the culprit, on a number of occasions.......Roger.

Remedy

The usual check routine, is to connect a light or voltmeter between the battery terminal and the lead. Then start pulling fuses until the light goes out or the meter reads zero. Thus locating the area of the draw. Also the alternator seems to have been be the culprit, on a number of occasions.......Roger.

Thanks a lot for your help, although we did use a voltmeter and then pulled each fuse, but light never went out, so believe there is still a draw. Thanks for your suggestions though!

Remedy

Thanks a lot for your help, although we did use a voltmeter and then pulled each fuse, but light never went out, so believe there is still a draw. Thanks for your suggestions though!
Any other ideas would be appreciated. May need to take it in to someone who knows more than I do!

Fun stuff... not.

I submit that the draw is unfused, then; something connected directly to a hot lead to the battery, like the alternator I wonder if that security module (which I am unfamilar with) is the problem, given the (perhaps) clue of the courtesy lights no longer working.

Battery draw

Fun stuff... not.

I submit that the draw is unfused, then; something connected directly to a hot lead to the battery, like the alternator I wonder if that security module (which I am unfamilar with) is the problem, given the (perhaps) clue of the courtesy lights no longer working.

We did check the alternator, but doesn't seem to be that. I think you're probably right that it could be the security module, which I believe also works with the courtesy lights and the time delay on them. Thanks for your help!

I had to replace my delay timer and the interior lights work like a charm;)

Delay timer

Checked some more today and find the draw goes away when fuse is removed that controls courtesy lights, radio, security. Believe I need to replace the delay timer, but don't know quite where to find it. From what I can get online, it is on the right behind the instrument panel. Need more details, but thanks for your help!

For my convertible, the delay timer is under the knee pad on the passenger side.

Checked some more today and find the draw goes away when fuse is removed that controls courtesy lights, radio, security. Believe I need to replace the delay timer, but don't know quite where to find it. From what I can get online, it is on the right behind the instrument panel. Need more details, but thanks for your help!

In answer to mine, you said you had checked all the fuses and, that yielded nothing. So why the change ?......Roger.

Other info

In answer to mine, you said you had checked all the fuses and, that yielded nothing. So why the change ?......Roger.

Got a better voltage tester from a mechanic and in checking the fuses, the one that is causing the draw is the 15 amp that runs the courtesy lights and he says to replace the delay timer that doesn't work, then the draw should no longer happen. If you remove that fuse, then there is no draw, but I've been told its the delay timer, not the fuse that is bad.

Sounds correct. The fuse is not blown, if there is draw with it in and doing part of its job: allowing current to flow to the system, in this case, the lights, etc.

The FSM shows that timer, a smallish part with two wires, I believe, on the pax side, held to the wiring bundle that goes to the back of the fuse panel and held onto that bundle with a tie of some sort. It appears to be just below the VATS module which is mounted off that bundle; both about centered on the pax seat.

Ahh, I see you added to your OP. The breadbasket is a PITA to remove and it's been too long since mine went bye bye to recall all the details. You may be able to remove just the lower panels to get to the timer.

Enjoy crawling upside down under the dash; one of my fav things ever! :w

Last edited:
Im having a similar no courtesy lights and power draw too… but on a 1990. My understanding is that they stopped having delay timers above the passenger side kick panel after 1989. They are not integrated i the ECM. So assuming I don't have a blown fuse, something else has stopped these door switches and the courtesy lamps from working.

Ideas for a 1990?

courtesy light issues...

Hi, not sure if this helps but on my '85 where the doors close there are plunger like switches,
I removed them and found a lot of dirt build up. Cleaned them, (Wd 40) re-installed them and the problem went away. Also cleaned the back hatch switch too.
Cheers,
Don.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom