Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior/courtesy light delay timer

Spurley

Hello, I recently bought a nice 93 convertible base model, after driving a few miles I notice a buzzing noise coming from the passenger side area of the dash
While going down the road I was messing with dash controls and adjusted the interior light control all the way clock wise, which turned on the interior lights and the buzzing stopped
I returned the dimmer switch back to its original position and about 5 minutes later that buzzing noise came back, I repeated those on off steps with dimmer switch again and same thing happened

My conclusion is the interior lights delay timer is faulty?
Can anyone explain the steps to remove panels to get to that switch/relay?

thanks

Hello, I recently bought a nice 93 convertible base model, after driving a few miles I notice a buzzing noise coming from the passenger side area of the dash
While going down the road I was messing with dash controls and adjusted the interior light control all the way clock wise, which turned on the interior lights and the buzzing stopped
I returned the dimmer switch back to its original position and about 5 minutes later that buzzing noise came back, I repeated those on off steps with dimmer switch again and same thing happened

thanks
That is called a Courtesy Lamp Relay. They are all over the internet. It is about 1" square, plug-in as I recall. I replaced the one on my '95 when I purchased it with 12,000 miles in '99. I still have the car. I've opened up my shop manual and can't find a diagram of it, but I believe I reached it by removing the right-hand fuse box door and pulling the fuse block out. Just behind there is a black plastic box that contains 5 of these plug-in relays. They all are interchangeable. That's how I found the bad one, by switching them around. Looking toward the front window there are two in front and three to the rear. I believe the culprit was one of the two in front and it was the one closest to the fuse panel. Hope this helps. I'll look again tomorrow. Too late tonight.

DELETED LINK
The op did not follow the link I posted that had the info & pic's

Last edited:
This linked me to an Ask the Expert add. Nice. :-(

Last edited:
deleted

Last edited:

thanks
I did a little more research and found the following. It seems you have a glove box on the passenger side of your 93. My 95 does not. If you want to get at the correct relay you must remove the glove box. Underneath there, toward the right side of dash you will find two relays. The one closest to the passenger door is the courtesy light relay. I understand you will have to wiggle that relay box around a bit in order to pull it down to remove the relay from it. The relays are easy to find on the Internet. Maybe $9 and change. Good luck with this.

Last edited:
I am still without success on this delay timer
I removed the glove box and do not see any relays
Are they down lower, like in front of the passenger knee bolster, if so what are the steps to removing that

thanks

I am still without success on this delay timer
I removed the glove box and do not see any relays
Are they down lower, like in front of the passenger knee bolster, if so what are the steps to removing that

thanks

I found this while searching on-line. It is the best one I have found. It is for a '93 C4. Hope it helps. This was the location on my '95 as well. So sorry about the glove box removal. Hope that was not too bad, but maybe now you have more room. Let me know. By the way, as I recall there were a couple of identical relays at the location, with the same part no. printed on them. Initially, you can just substitute one for another to make sure a new relay is your problem.

To get to the relay, the passenger side lower cover panel (the carpeted one with the courtesy lamp under the dash needs to be removed, then, laying on your back on the passenger side floor, look up behind the dash and you will see a bundle of square relays - the relay you want is the second in from the left - see attached picture - Thanks, Dave
2010-06-30_225709_Corvette_Relays.gif

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom