Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

88 Acrylic Roof Panel

WTS

Corvette
1988 Red Coupe
I have two roof panels, one with a crack in the acrylic panel but a good frame, the other assembly has a reasonable panel but a poor frame. I want to remove the cracked panel and replace it with the spare.

Has anyone ever managed to disassemble the roof panel from the frame and do a swap from a donor roof assembly, if so what would be the correct procedure ?

I am assuming that the acrylic panel is bonded to the roof frame.

Thanks

WTS

I have two roof panels, one with a crack in the acrylic panel but a good frame, the other assembly has a reasonable panel but a poor frame. I want to remove the cracked panel and replace it with the spare.

Has anyone ever managed to disassemble the roof panel from the frame and do a swap from a donor roof assembly, if so what would be the correct procedure ?

I am assuming that the acrylic panel is bonded to the roof frame.

Thanks

WTS

Gasoline will solve ANY petroleum-based adhesive (and some non-petroleum compounds too). Use caution of course, since the frame #10, would separate from the panel #1...

attachment.php

asset.php

Attachments

• IMG_6577.jpg
    IMG_6577.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 99
Many Thanks !
I will have a look at it again and see if I can disassemble it.

Regards

WTS

I responded to a similar post on the Corvette Forum. Do a search on Dow Betaseal U-418 to find the procedure I used on my '84. That was quite a while ago, and my re-bonded roof is working fine!

:blue:

Thanks, I reviewed the procedure stipulated in the maintenance manual for disassembly. but it is unclear with respect to where the acrylic panel adhesive is located. It may be that the adhesive is located sporadically as opposed to a continuous bead between the frame and the panel. Can you comment on if you encountered this on your 84?

Regards WTS

You didn't say whether you'd been able to find my procedure. If you have questions about my procedure, please ask about my procedure. If you have questions about GM's procedure, ask them! What makes sense to you? Sporadic bonding? Do you want sporadic leaks and bond failures?

Last edited:
I did not find your dis-assembly procedure, but I will try again.

Thanks

WTS

I'm sorry you've had difficulties finding my thread on another forum. Here's the procedure that worked for me. I'm very happy with the results, even though it was a lot of work!

Don't use any RTV, as they aren't permanent fixes. I did this procedure several years ago, and I've had no problems!

I used Dow Betaseal U-418, which is a professional urethane adhesive used for new car glue-in windshields. To remove the acrylic top from the frame, force a narrow putty knife thru the bond area to separate the top from the frame. Clean off the old adhesive with a single edged razor blade. Install the frame onto the car, and carefully place the acrylic top in place, and adjust for the best position (no adhesive). Place masking tape at several locations on the bottom of the acrylic top to orient the top to the frame. Small alignment blocks clamped to the acrylic top at several locations will help with the alignment. Turn the top upside down on a table and review the alignment of the frame to the top. Don't do the bonding on the car, because the bond line will not be as thin as what you want! Work with the top upside down on a table. Apply the adhesive, set the frame in place, and very lightly clamp the frame to the top.

You may want to adjust the height of the four corner mounting brackets in the car, which are located under the header trim, because your new top may fit tighter than old top! Be careful of the front fit, because if you'll notice, as you tighten the front bolts, you're pulling hard on the acrylic top against the front weatherstrip. If this is too tight, you'll be stressing the bond more than neccessary. You should be able to tighten the bolts all the way, without overstressing the bond line, or cracking the top!!

Remember to tighten the rear bolts before the front bolts to assure the best fit and the least stress to the installation.

Very ingenious, Many thanks !
I will try this at my earliest opportunity.

Best regards

WTS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom