Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

88 new Mufflers needed

Robert12

Corvette
1988 Silver
I have a 88 C-4 which I purchased a little over a year ago. It has 30,000 miles on it and it looks like I will be needing a new muffler on each side. I had the car on the lift the other day and noticed that both mufflers have some wear or the begining of a hole on each one.

My question is this. What is the best muffer out there for the price. I want to keep that rich corvette sound as well.

thanks

Bob

Are you sure their not condensate drain holes? Are they at the same loc. on each muffler? Because the mufflers are tipped you'll sometimes find factory holes...

Hi Muddy, how is everything in WB. No I don;t believe they are condensate holes. I will look again. But you are correct they are in the same spot on both mufflers..

Bob

Suggestion... If you need to replace these mufflers and you like the stock sound, check to see if all four tips are working. If only one tip works per side, then you can upgrade to four working tips and add ~5HP.

mufflers

I had a a C4 system installed (had it done because I was DEPLOYED) on my '90 just before I retired and moved from Savannah back to N. Georgia. The OVER PRICED and UNDER ENGINEERED magnaflow muffler suspension tabs began to break in 6 mos! I figured no problem and rolled into the nearest dealer, only to be told that the company policy was for ME to return to SAVANNAH (4 hr drive) to have it replaced by the DEALER that installed it! I called and emailed magnafolw customer (no) service,and was told that was the policy, that other wise I might have got it from a junk yard and trying to scam them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tend to be persistant and found a dealer (and his distributer) close by that quickly saw that the "policy" was a way to CHEAT customers and supported my claim. Just as a point of interest, I have replaced the R side twice and the L once..... I have since created a discrete wrap around retainer that restributes the tension along a greater area.

I wouldn't disgrace my Craftsman mower with magnaflow mufflers or their CRAPPY warranty.

I will happly share my email exchanges with customer no service if you are interested!

When I have your wounded

I had both mufflers replaced with aftermarket factory clones that sound great and have all tips working. I believe they were $200/pr. including hardware and labor.

I removed both mufflers on my 88. I ordered a system that eliminated the mufflers and didnt make the car loud. Just a nice deep tone. I think it was about $170.00. Cleaned up the rear underside of the car real nice and came with twin chrome tips. I ordered the part from corvette central

I removed both mufflers on my 88. I ordered a system that eliminated the mufflers and didnt make the car loud. Just a nice deep tone. I think it was about $170.00. Cleaned up the rear underside of the car real nice and came with twin chrome tips. I ordered the part from corvette central

Eliminate them, eh. Sounds like s good idea for when mine go bye bye.
How can they not be louder though, or legal?

i was surprised when i started the car after i had them put on that they werent real loud. It is a real nice deep sound. They are glass packed with baffles near the end. The pipe is just slightly larger at the rear i guess for the baffles and packing. The part number is 324437 at corvette central.com. it is louder than stock mufflers but nothing that would draw any attention to you

IMHORN52 is correct. When I purchased my car it had those straight pipes with a dual outlets on it and I felt it was too loud for me so I had a set of Magnaflow mufflers installed. I do feel it mellowed out the sound a bit but not a tremendous difference for the $520.00 I spent. They look good, maybe mellowed the sound a bit, but again if I had to do it over, I feel that the straight pipe (mufflers eliminated) is probably a nice inexpensive way to go. As far as legal, I did think of that but you still have the resonators and I don't think inspection stations would even pick up on the fact. Just my opinnion.

I have the straight pipes on my 88, they were on the car when I bought it. I feel their not too loud, but someone else might disagree, I like the sound. Getting it inspected is no problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom