Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 88' side view mirror popped loose.

flatninth

Corvette
1988 coupe
Hi everybody,

The side view mirror on the passengers side has popped out and I'm having a little trouble popping it back into place and didn't want to force it. There's a little metal horizontal bar (about an inch or so long) that looks like it should just pop into a black plastic shaped tube that's hollow and has a cut out for the metal piece to fit into.

The black plastic piece is wider on one side and the metal goes right in, but the other side has a much narrower slot and the metal piece doesn't want to slide in. One of the two bolts on the mirror will slide entirely out of the housing, the other bolt seems pretty secure.

Can anybody help me out with a tip or two? The only threads I found were for a different year vette that don't seem to apply.

Thanks!!!

Hi, welcome to the group!!
If you drop down a couple of posts to the one labeled outside mirror trunion replacement, it should show you everything you need to know. They put some excellent photos in that post that show what you are having problems with. Hopefully that will help with your problem.

Scott

dealer cracked it,ouch

Thanks for the reply. I read the post you mentioned, which was excellent. And since I needed to get the Vette inspected anyway today, I went to the local Chevy dealer. I mentioned the mirror problem and one of the mechanics decided he'd pop it back into place, apparently he was a "Vette" guy. Well it snapped into place and I thought great,Done! Upon closer inspection I noticed he cracked the mirror right down the middle in a nice "X" pattern!

Well, now they are ordering the whole side view mirror unit (2 weeks) and then taking 2 days to paint it to the factory color and then installing it. I'm curious to see how the color matches up with the 20 yr old paint. The good news is that the price is right because they're doing it for free, but it's sad because I bet with a little care they could've popped it in with out the drama.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom