Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'88 Swinging headlight

billroth

Corvette
2-88 bl & blk Conv, 96 Conv, 68 bl Tt, 98 & 03
This is the first C4 that I have had this problem and it is probably very elementry to most of you, here I go: When I turn on my headlights the drivers door tops up about 3/4 of the way and swings back down to a neutrel position lighting only the radiator ;). Never having this problem before tell we what I need to do: new motor, new gear(s) or an adjustment. The little tapered plastic cap spins when I turn the lights on.

When I turn the lights off the hood does eventually swing closed. What do I need to do. If it is rebuilding the gearing system can an average guy do it.

Thanks,
The 1 eyed Vette:eyerole

I printed out the instructions from the Ultimate Corvett Tech website & it looks tricky. Have you done it or is it complicated as the 4 page procedure looks?

The biggest pain is getting the shaft out. A good vise will work. Be careful with the little screws holding the two halves of the case together. The whole assy. comes out of the hood pretty easily. Sounds like the bushings. The factory used a gel that dries out and turns to powder. The replacement are three derlin bushings that fit right in. There was a post on here about someone finding the parts at HomeDepot for like .10 each. Most of the aftermarket supply houses sell the rebuild kit $2-3 a side. I have a set laying in the shop if ya want 'em.

:w

I just took my drivers side motor apart today to replace the bushings. It was more fun than replacing the battery:eyerole .

Some people have posted warnings about using the bushings from Home Depot saying they're not the correct size and will fail prematurely. I ordered the $4.99 set from Eckler's along with a bunch of other stuff.

Eckler's Part # 29304 Repair Kit, Headlight Motor, 88-96

You'll need two to do both headlights.

JonM said:
Sounds like a gear problem...this should point you in the right direction. And you should be able to do it yourself. Just be like the little engine that could. :L

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001/december/headlights/head1.asp
You might add this link to your recommendations. There are obviously two types of motors in the C4's. My '89 looks like the one in the link below. If I tried to follow the instructions in the corvette zine I would have definitely been lost. Just a suggestion!!
http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/33098/

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom