Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

88 Vette 4 Speed to 6 Speed Transmission

WTS

Corvette
1988 Red Coupe
Has anyone converted a (4) Speed Doug Nash W/OD to a MN6 (6) Speed Transmission. Any problems with drive shaft, Bell Housing, Digital Instrument Cluster etc?

It's possible to replace the Doug Nash with a ZF but not only must you change the trans but you also have to change the rear axle. The ZF won't work with the 3.07 ratio in an 88 manual.

The beauty of the Richmond six-speed is that, if you use Richmond's conversion kit (designed to put the ROD in a C4 originally equipped with the Nash), it's basically a bolt-in operation.

The downside is that while the Richmond is a pretty darn good aftermarket six-speed (I have one in a 71) it's not the refined gearbox that is the ZF S6-40.

88 Vette Transmission Conversion

Hib Halverson said:
It's possible to replace the Doug Nash with a ZF but not only must you change the trans but you also have to change the rear axle. The ZF won't work with the 3.07 ratio in an 88 manual.

The beauty of the Richmond six-speed is that, if you use Richmond's conversion kit (designed to put the ROD in a C4 originally equipped with the Nash), it's basically a bolt-in operation.

The downside is that while the Richmond is a pretty darn good aftermarket six-speed (I have one in a 71) it's not the refined gearbox that is the ZF S6-40.

Thanks for the information, I was hoping to not have to replace any more of the drive train than just the transmission.

Regards WTS

Someone here did the six-speed switch with that tranny and posted a link to their site. He documented the whole thing. I looked at the site, but I can't remember who it was. I'm sure someone will check this on Monday or Tuesday and give you the correct info.

Good luck!!

Jim

88 Vette Transmission conversion

koolaid117 said:
Someone here did the six-speed switch with that tranny and posted a link to their site. He documented the whole thing. I looked at the site, but I can't remember who it was. I'm sure someone will check this on Monday or Tuesday and give you the correct info.

Good luck!!

Jim

Thanks Jim, I will look for more information !

Regards WTS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom