Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

89 corvette need help

racecarkid

Corvette
ok this is how it started the car would not turn over so i put the resister under the dash to read the key and it started i drove it down and back and it was ok then i got on it hard then it went in to a creap mode car would just move if you push on gas nothing so now it will turn over but will not start there no fuel pressure and no communicate with a snapon scanner

Last edited:
I have a 89 corvette runs good for 5 mins after that then it starts with it will not start when you conect a snapon scanner to it cant find the car sometimes it will take day before i will start again but when it starts no codes can some one help me

when it stop running theres no fuel pressure and the scanner cant read nothing but it will turn over

When the car won't start and the Snap On scanner can't communicate
with the ECM what happens when you short pin A to B on the diag connector
and turn the ignition On? Does the service engine soon indicator blink 12?

The fan should come on and you should hear the IAC
retracting.

That can tell you if there is a problem with the ECM or
a compatibility problem with the Snap On Scanner.

Measure the resistance of the fuel injector coils both when hot and cold.
Should be around 16 ohms. If only one injector resistance is low, unplug it
and see if the engine runs.

When the car won't start what's the fuel pressure and do you have spark?

If you have a fuel pressure gauge when you turn the ignition off, how fast
does the fuel pressure drop?

Disconnect the vacuum hose going to the fuel pressure regulator and
verify there is no fuel in the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
when it running the snapon scanner works fine and good fuel pressure but when it stops running no fuel pressure and no scanning sometimes it take a day for it will read the ecm can it be a bad ground when it stop running the dash light only the speed reads and the secuity light is on

when it running the snapon scanner works fine and good fuel pressure but when it stops running no fuel pressure and no scanning sometimes it take a day for it will read the ecm can it be a bad ground when it stop running the dash light only the speed reads and the secuity light is on

How do you know there is no fuel pressure?
If the Snap On Scanner can not communicate with the ECM and you can't pull
codes by shorting Pin A to Pin B that points to the ECM.

I don't understand your statement when it stops running the dash light only
the speed reads and the sercurity light is on.

i got a pressure meter on it when it stops running only the speed works all the other stop working and the sercuity lights on but when it runs it all ok just cant find the problem

good fuel pressure but when it stops running no fuel pressure
Should have fuel pressure when cranking over because there is a mechanical switch operated by oil pressure ( Assuming the switch is working of course )
that supplies power direct to the pump ; independent of anything the ECM is doing or not

I have a 89 corvette runs good for 5 mins after that then it starts with it will not start when you conect a snapon scanner to it cant find the car sometimes it will take day before i will start again but when it starts no codes can some one help me

when it stop running theres no fuel pressure and the scanner cant read nothing but it will turn over

Also, if you have a security light on , your VATS may be preventing you from starting the car.

ok i thank i found the problem but dont no how to fix the horns unplug when plug back up the horn is going off
and sercuity light is on but when turn key on light goes off but the horn is still on

Ok, so what was the problem and, how did you fix it ? This should be posted, for the benefit of other CAC members, as well as a courtesy to those who have given you advice.
The horn problem, will probably require just the insertion of the key into the door lock and turning both ways......Roger.

ok this is how it started the car would not turn over so i put the resister under the dash to read the key and it started i drove it down and back and it was ok then i got on it hard then it went in to a creap mode car would just move if you push on gas nothing so now it will turn over but will not start there no fuel pressure and no communicate with a snapon scanner

Did you get the factory alarm to shut off? Assuming that is what is meant by plugging the horns in?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom