Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

89 won't crank over

diesel1456

Corvette
1989 white conv
The other day i decided to take my vette out for a spin. I hadn't used it in about 2 weeks. I go down to the garage turn the key and she fire's right up. I went for about an hr ride and stopped on my way back home to have ice cream. I sat there for maybe a 1/2 hr and i go to start the car and nonthing. My dash lit up but when u turned the key nonthing. I thought maybe it was the chip on my key so i had my son bring my wife's key and that didn't work either. You know how embarrasing that was having everybody looking at your car and complimenting you and it won't start. So i waited for the place to close 3 hrs later and rolled it down the hill and popped 2nd gear and she fired right up. I drove it home parked it and went to start it and again nonthing. Any idea's ? There is no clicking from the starter at all. The car is running fantastic. If it has something to do with the VATS would the car still jump start ? Any idea's what to check or look for would be appriciated. I never had any trouble with this car at all.
Thanks Rich

There is no clicking from the starter? do you hear the Fuel Pump Run? if so I would say it is the starter, if not I would think it is the VATS system and that the contacts in the Key Cylinder are worn causing both keys not to make full contact all the time. I would suggest getting the VATS Bypass (cheapest route) and see if that cures the problem

I thought the vats had nothing to do with the pass key deterent system. On my car i can set off the alarm and still get in the car turn the key and start it. It will not go off until i turn it off, i could drive for an hour with it going off. I have had an experience with my car not starting, and it did the same thing yours did. I had to have a new lock cylinder and ignition switch put in the car.

good luck

craig

Thanks for the help guy's but i fixed it. A while back i changed the steering wheel and when i put it on it was off a little so the other day before i took the car out i took off the wheel and lined it up straight,anyway when i went to start the car the horn button was stuck for the horn to go off. This must of done something with the theft system. The next day for the heck of it (i have shaved door handles) i took the remote locked the doors and then opened them and the car started right up. So it must of reset the system. Just glad it was something stupid.
Thanks again
Rich

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom