Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

90 ALDL Connection problems

jimmers

Corvette
1990 Red Coupe 6 speed
I tried all night to connect my laptop to my 90 but it didn't work. I tried using DataMaster, TunerPro, and WinALDL but they didn't work. DataMaster says my cable is fine but it can't communicate with my PCM. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt my car have an ECM instead of a PCM? I'm using DataMaster 8D which I believe is the right program. I built my own ALDL cable and tested it with ALDL Test and it passed. I tried 2 different laptops with Windows Xp and 2000. I tried using pin M for data because I dont have a pin E. Am I using the right cable and software? This is the schematic of the cable I built. Thanks!
aldl_2transistor.gif

I don't know if this is like comunicating with CNC machines but port setup is important on those, Baud rate etc. If nobody chimes in do some research on that part of it.

Glenn
:w

Since you have the cable and Tunerpro RT, you need to download 2 files. First you must identify your ECM and download and save the definition (.bin) file for it. Second, you need to download the .xdf file for the program to communicate from the ECM to the computer. I just did this recently and it hooked up just fine. You can download definitions at http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/downloadBinDefs.htm
You'll also notice at the bottom of the page links to more defs. Try them also as you're sure to find the correct one.

Since you have the cable and Tunerpro RT, you need to download 2 files. First you must identify your ECM and download and save the definition (.bin) file for it. Second, you need to download the .xdf file for the program to communicate from the ECM to the computer. I just did this recently and it hooked up just fine. You can download definitions at http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/downloadBinDefs.htm
You'll also notice at the bottom of the page links to more defs. Try them also as you're sure to find the correct one.

I also tried that but didn't have any luck. Maybe I need to try more definitions. My ECM is labeled as 1227727 but I can only find a 1227730 for a 90-91 L98. Will the 1227730 work? TunerPro always says my ALDL cable is not connected. Should I be using Pin M for data?

Are there port settings in the TunerPro ? Sounds an awful lot like a port issue with other software-hardware.

Glenn

Are there port settings in the TunerPro ? Sounds an awful lot like a port issue with other software-hardware.

Glenn

Not that I can see. There arent many options regarding cable connections.

Well I tried another laptop tonight and still no luck. Should I be using the 2 transistor ALDL cable?

Yes, definitely.
Thanks, thats what I thought. I'm completely stumped as to why it won't work then. I've played around with com settings and still no luck.

The 1227730 bin and the super_8dm2.ecu for your xdf should work. After reading the message boards for tunerpro, it seems that previous versions of RT had problems with hook up to 90-91 Corvettes. Just make sure you have the current version.

Hi
I went through the same exercise as you have trying to get my laptop to communicate with my 90 L98. I bought a serial /ALDL cable triedseveral softwarepackages, definitions and two laptops but had no success. In the end I came to the conclusion that the I was not using the correct definition for my ECM and that it was not readily available.
I hope you solve this problem and share it with the rest of us.

Cheers
Gary

The 1227730 bin and the super_8dm2.ecu for your xdf should work. After reading the message boards for tunerpro, it seems that previous versions of RT had problems with hook up to 90-91 Corvettes. Just make sure you have the current version.

I have the latest version of tunerpro, but i'll try the definition files you posted. Thanks for the help!

Hi
I went through the same exercise as you have trying to get my laptop to communicate with my 90 L98. I bought a serial /ALDL cable triedseveral softwarepackages, definitions and two laptops but had no success. In the end I came to the conclusion that the I was not using the correct definition for my ECM and that it was not readily available.
I hope you solve this problem and share it with the rest of us.

Cheers
Gary

If I get it to work I'll post my findings.

I went through this recently with a 7730. I used the 4-transistor interface tho.

You not only have to have a definition (XDF) for the ECM, but it has to be correct for the particular bin...not just "any 'ol" 7727 definition file will work. (at least that was the case with the 7730)

Snoop around on thirdgen.org...there's so much info on this sort of thing it's just mind-boggling.

Bill

I went through this recently with a 7730. I used the 4-transistor interface tho.

You not only have to have a definition (XDF) for the ECM, but it has to be correct for the particular bin...not just "any 'ol" 7727 definition file will work. (at least that was the case with the 7730)

Snoop around on thirdgen.org...there's so much info on this sort of thing it's just mind-boggling.

Bill
I signed up for thirdgen yesterday but I havent recieved my confirmation email yet. I guess I need to try more xdf files. Thanks!

I signed up for thirdgen yesterday but I havent recieved my confirmation email yet. I guess I need to try more xdf files. Thanks!

Does your memcal module have a 4-digit code on it? (usually starts with "A") May be on the EPROM itself under that blue plastic cover?

Does your memcal module have a 4-digit code on it? (usually starts with "A") May be on the EPROM itself under that blue plastic cover?

I have 2 codes that begin with A. There is one on the blue cover that is ARFP and one on the chip itself which is AD89.

Well guys I finally got it to work!!! I removed the resistor that connected cables A and B and it worked! Thanks for all your help through this. Now I have to figure out to read all the data!:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom